Last Updated : Jan 05,2018
Viewed 7940 times
Also Known as
Khichia papad is a thin Indian wafer, sometimes described as a cracker or flatbread. They are made of rice flour flavoured with green chillies, salt and cumin seeds. They are dried rice chip studded with Indian spices which can be grilled or deep fried. The dough is prepared using rice flour, salt, sodium bicarbonate, green chillies, cumin seeds and oil.The dough is shaped into a thin, round flat bread and then dried (traditionally in the sun) and can be cooked by deep-frying, It is served as an accompaniment to an Indian meal, as a snack and as croutons in soups.
How to Select
It is available in the market very easily of various brands. Check that they are not stuck to each other. Dry form is more acceptable.
• Papads are typically served as an accompaniment to a meal in India. It is also eaten as an appetizer or a snack and can be eaten topped with various toppings such as chopped onions, chutney or other dips and condiments.
• Traditionally enjoyed with a selection of chutneys and pickles and as an accompaniment to Indian meals. Mint chutney compliments the taste plain papad.
• Take a bite after the Daal chawal is in your mouth or alternatively the Daal chawal can also be scooped up with the papad.
• Papad can be munched on as a snack.
• It is often crushed and sprinkled on rice.
• A traditional Indian thali or platter always includes papad.
• Papads are usually deep fried for special occasions.
How to Store'
Papads are best stored in an airtight container for at least one year. Occasionally put them out in an airy place so that they are preserved better. Although perishable, it's always better to purchase small packets and purchase regularly as desired.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.