Last Updated : Jan 05,2018
Viewed 9871 times
Also Known As
Panadanas Syrup, Kewda syrup.
The pungent floral scent of Kewda or screwpine is hard to miss. The sweet perfumed odour of Kewda, emanating similar properties to rose make for an ideal syrup for flavouring north Indian sweets. Water, lime, sugar and kewda essence are combined together to create kewda syrup. When the leaves and flowers of the palm tree like kewda plant are distilled, kewra essence is acquired. If you'd like to make kewra syrup at home, dissolve sugar in water, while boiling it, then add lime juice, bring to a boil and let it cool. Now stir in the kewra essence, let it cool, then bottle the syrup.
How to Select
• Kewra syrup is best made at home with kewra oil or attar.
• Since the flavour of kewra and rose are quite similar be vary before you buy either.
• If purchasing it commercially ensure that the seal is unbroken.
• Please read the manufacturing date to ensure maximum product freshness.
• North Indian cuisine usually favours the use of kewda in their recipes.
• When combined with khus and falooda seeds, it creates a tasty,cooling drink for the summer.
• Kewra syrup can be sprinkled over a pulao or any rice dish to give it a hint of sweet or to balance out the spice.
• Kewra syrup has its use in sweet dishes like Gulab Jamun. Once you prepare the jamuns, soak them in warm kewra syrup and then serve.
• Kewda can be mixed with other syrups or mixed with rabdi.
• Kewra sherbet can be made when you mix 3 portions of chilled water with one portion of the syrup.
How to Store
• Until the seal is broken, store the unopened bottle in a cool, dry place at room temperature
• After breaking the seal, refrigerate the product to extend its shelf life.
• Since syrups contains a high amount of sugar, it acts as a preservative and ensures that the product has a long shelf life.
• Unopened bottles remain for a year with the flavour and taste of kesar intact.
• If these unopened bottles are stored in the refrigerator, it lasts for upto 3-4 years with the flavour and taste intact. However keep in mind the expiry date and use accordingly.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.