Jowar flour is made by grinding the small round grains of jowar (white millet). When the jowar is ripe and ready to be harvested, the plants are cut and tied in bundles and allowed to dry. The bundles are threshed to separate the grains. The grains are cleaned, washed, dried and then processed into flour.
When ground, the flour is creamish white in colour and has a fairly neutral flavour that is sometimes nutty or sweetish. it absorbs flavours well and can be used in a variety of dishes. It can be consumed plain, made into porridge, roti and other dishes, or used in combination with other flours. It is preferred by the gluten intolerant, and is often cooked as a porridge to be eaten alongside other foods.
How to select
• If buying readymade jowar flour, check the manufacturing and expiry date, as well as the seal of the package.
• If buying from bulk bins, ensure that the bins are closed and placed away from dust and grime.
• Check the flour for signs of moisture or lumpiness.
• If you prefer to prepare your own flour, buy good quality grains from a trusted store, as this determines the quality of the flour you make.
• Jowar flour can be used to make bhakri, theplas, and other Indian breads, where it can be used alone or mixed with wheat flour.
• Stuff with innovative fillings to make jowar parathas.
• The flour is also used in preparations like dhokli, khakras, muthias, etc.
How to store
• This flour is best used within 30 days.
• Store in an airtight container in a cool and dry place.
11 Health Benefits of Jowar Flour
1. Rich in Fiber : Jowar Flour is naturally high in Fibre. 100 grams of Jowar give 9.7 grams of Fibre.
2. Gluten Free : Being gluten free, it’s a healthy diet for all. Not only for those who are gluten intolerant but also those who want to live a healthy life style.
3. Good for Diabetics : Jowar is a complex carb and will be absorbed slowly in the blood stream and not cause a spike in insulin. Hence a good safe food for diabetics and also for those who want to live and eat healthy. Try https://www.tarladalal.com/Jowar-Roti-41569r
4. Reduces body Inflammation : Being high in phytochemical antioxidants which results in Jowar being anti inflammatory. Phytochemical are commonly found in fruits, vegetables, nuts, legumes, and grains and offer protection against cancer and heart disease.
5. Protein Rich : One cup of Jowar Flour (100 grams) has 10.4 grams of protein. Good source of protein for vegetarians. Jowar Flour forms a complete protein when combined with legumes like rajma, moong dal, urad dal, toovar dal, chana dal.
6. Reduces Cancer Risk: Phytochemical present in Jowar reduce the oxidative damage of our cells resulting the lessening risk of cancer.
7. High in Magnesium : Since Jowar is rich in Mg which results in better calcium absorption in your body resulting in stronger bones.
8. Rich in Iron : 100 grams of Jowar contains 4.1 mg of iron. You need to pair with a Vitamin C source to enjoy the benefits of the iron.
9. Lowers Blood Pressure : Jowar and all Millets are rich in Potassium. Potassium is critical for those with High Blood Pressure as it lessens the impact of sodium. Eating more Potassium Rich Foods will remove more sodium from your body through urine. So if you are suffering from High Blood Pressure and taking medication, then the medicine works by taking out the sodium and potassium from the kidneys. So you need to up your Potassium intake in this case.
10. Lowers Cholesterol : Being high in Fibre, Jowar reduces bad cholesterol (LDL) and increases the effects of good cholesterol (HDL)
11. Alkaline : Jowar is alkaline in nature and combats acidity. Acidity is a form of indigestion in which there is accumulation of acid leading to a burning sensation in the stomach and the digestive tract. The stomach periodically produces acid to aid digestion. It is when we don't eat at regular intervals or are excessively stressed the stomach produces more acids which harms our body.
11. Good for Endurance : Being high in fibre, protein, alkaline, lowering blood pressure means more RBC (red blood cells) to give energy. All these factors enhance performance of endurance athletes like runners, swimmers and bikers. Note that Jowar is a whole grain and they are always more healthier than its powdered form which is Jowar Flour.