Last Updated : Jun 24,2018
Viewed 44883 times
Also Known as
Simply put, as the name suggests, hang curd in a muslin cloth and let the whey or the liquid drain completely (a process that takes about 4 hours). After pressing the bundle gently, what you have is chakka or hung curd. If you prefer the low fat variety, substitute full fat curd with low-fat.
How to select
• Depending on your choice select either a full fat or low fat fresh curd to make your home made version of hung curd. This method by far is most healthy than the over-the-counter choices.
• Shrikhand, is a form of hung curd made using powdered sugar with additions like elaichi, kesar or badam. Extremely popular in both Maharashtra and Gujarat.
• Hung curd makes for thicker, healthier dips.
• If you like using mayonnaise or white sauce as a salad dressing but hesitate due to the calorie overkill... You can easily substitute those ingredients with hung curds with a little mustard powder, pepper and salt and whip it up to the right consistency before you add it to the salad.
• The whey, that is the water drained out can be used to knead chappati doughs or drunk as is with addition of spices.
How to Store
• It stays fresh for a day or two when refrigerated.
• Hung curd is a good source of calcium, vitamins and other minerals.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.