Last Updated : Mar 01,2018
Viewed 6254 times
Description Uses of Hazelnut
A hazelnut is the nut of the hazel and is also known as a cobnut. It is roughly spherical to oval, about 15-25 mm long and 10-15 mm in diameter, with an outer fibrous husk surrounding a smooth shell. The kernel of the seed is edible and used raw or roasted, or ground into a paste. The seed has a thin, dark brown skin which has a bitter flavor and is sometimes removed before cooking. Hazelnuts are extensively used in confectionery to make praline and also used in combination with chocolate for chocolate truffles and products such as Nutella. Hazelnut oil, pressed from hazelnuts, is strongly flavored and used as a cooking.
Roast the hazelnuts in a oven or on a hot pan to get roasted nuts.The nuts are roasted after removing the skin. Roasted nuts are usually added in salads or stir fry dishes to add crunchiness and flavor.
Roasted hazelnuts without the skin are powdered finely or crushed coarsely in a grinder or commercial miller to get powdered hazelnuts. They are typically used to make dressings and butter.
How to select Hazelnut
Whole hazelnuts should be heavy, compact and free of any blemishes. Just like with other dried nuts, when purchasing hazelnuts, try to select that which is organically grown since this will give you more assurance that it has not been irradiated. While buying packaged roasted hazelnuts or powdered nuts, check the expiry date and feel for lumpiness( sign of moisture inside the packet.).
Culinary Uses Uses of Hazelnut
· Hazelnuts are extensively used in confectionery to make praline and also used in combination with chocolate for chocolate truffles.
· In the USA, hazelnut butter is being promoted as a more nutritious spread than its peanut butter counterpart, though it has a higher fat content
· In Austria and especially in Vienna hazelnut paste is a prominent component in the world famous torts (such as Viennese hazelnut tort).
· Vodka-based Hazelnut liqueurs, such as Frangelico, are also increasing in esteem, especially in the U.S. and eastern Europe
· Hazelnut is favoured as a coffee flavouring, especially in the form of Hazelnut latte.
· Hazelnuts make for crunchy salads and creamy dressings.
How to store Hazelnut
Store the nuts in an airtight container, kept in a cool dry place.
Health benefits Uses of Hazelnut
· Hazelnuts are rich in protein and unsaturated fat.
· Moreover, they contain significant amounts of thiamine and vitamin B6, as well as smaller amounts of other B vitamins.
· · Hazelnuts are high in oleic acid, a monounsaturated fatty acid that helps to lower cholesterol.
· · Hazelnuts lower blood pressure because of minerals such as calcium, magnesium, and potassium ·
· Hazelnuts contain cardio protective arginine, an amino acid that relaxes blood vessels.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.