Last Updated : Mar 10,2020
Viewed 41038 times
Description Uses of Hara Vatana
Hara vatana refers to dried green peas. When fresh peas are not available or when you want to enjoy a starchier, hardier flavoured legume, dried peas or hara vatana is the perfect choice as it is available any time of the year. Although it belongs to the same family as beans and lentils, it is usually distinguished as a separate group because of the ways of preparation.
Hara Vatana is usually spherical and deep green in colour. However, a yellow coloured variety with a milder flavour is also available.
Hara vatana is produced by harvesting peapods when they are fully mature and then drying them. Once they are dried and the skins removed, they split naturally.
Soaked and cooked hara vatana
Clean, wash and soak the hara vatana in plenty of water for 6 to 8 hours. Drain and cook in a vessel full of water till just done and use as per the recipe.
Soaked hara vatana
Clean, wash and soak the hara vatana in plenty of water for 6 to 8 hours. Drain and use as per the recipe.
Sprouted and boiled hara vatana
How to select Hara Vatana
• Dried peas are generally available pre-packaged in standard quantities, as well as in bulk bins.
• It is available in whole and split form.
• Check the peas to ensure that they are not cracked and that they are free of debris.
Culinary Uses Uses of Hara Vatana
• Use split peas to make dal, the classic Indian dish.
• Split pea soup is a delicious way to enjoy this nutritious legume.
• Purée cooked peas with your favourite herbs and spices and serve as a side dish.
• Add whole peas to vegetable soups.
How to store Hara Vatana
• Dried peas will remain good for several months if stored in an airtight container in a cool, dry, dark place.
• If you need to store for longer, then refrigerate it in an airtight container or cover.
Health benefits Uses of Hara Vatana
• Dried peas are a good source of cholesterol-lowering fibre.
• They also help in managing blood-sugar disorders since their high fibre content prevents blood sugar levels from rising rapidly after a meal.
• Dried peas also provide four important minerals, two B-vitamins and protein.
• Dried peas are rich in soluble fibre, and low in fat.
• They are a good source of potassium, which may decrease the growth and development of blood vessel plaques and is also good for lowering high blood pressure.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.