Last Updated : Jun 24,2020
Viewed 89437 times
What is Green peas, Matar?The pea is a green, pod-shaped vegetable, widely grown as a cool-season vegetable crop. A pea is most commonly the small spherical seed or the seed-pod of the legume Pisum sativum. Each pod contains several peas. Although it is botanically a fruit it is treated as a vegetable in cooking. In early times, peas were grown mostly for their dry seeds. In modern times, however, peas are usually boiled or steamed, which breaks down the cell walls and makes the taste sweeter and the nutrients more bio-available.
Blanched and crushed green peas
Blanched green peas
Wash the green peas thoroughly and put into a saucepan of boiling water. Boil for 10 to 15 minutes, then drain off the water and use as desired. To retain the colour of the green peas you can add a pinch of salt and soda to the boiling water and after boiling immerse it in cold water for maximum freshness.
Boiled and crushed green peas
Boil the green peas in enough water along with some salt and sugar to retain its bright green colour till the peas turn soft. Cool and crush using a crusher or blend in a mixer into a coarse mixture. Use as required.
Boiled and mashed green peas
Wash the green peas thoroughly and put into a saucepan of boiling water. Boil for 10 to 15 minutes, then drain off the water and use as desired. To retain the colour of the green peas you can add a pinch of salt and soda to the boiling water and after boiling immerse it in cold water for maximum freshness. After draining mash them using a fork to get coarsely mashed green peas or using a potato masher for completely mashed green peas.
Boiled green peas
Peas are boiled in twice the amount of water in a covered pan. After boiling drain the water and use the green peas as per the recipe.
Crushed green peas
Peel the green pea pods and place the green peas using a crusher or blend in a mixer into a coarse mixture. Use as required.
Green peas puree
A Pea Purée recipe is made using fresh or frozen garden peas and fresh mint which are cooked quickly and mashed. Pea Purée should not be mistaken for Mushy Peas. Mushy peas are dried marrowfat peas which undergo a long slow cooking with bicarbonate of soda to make the peas swell and burst into a 'mush'. Pea Purée is a delicious side dish to serve with almost all meat and fish dishes. It is particularly lovely with oily fish such as the Smoked Mackerel Fishcakes.
Parboiled green peas
Parboiling is a cooking technique in which peas are partially cooked in boiling water, but removed before it is cooked all the way through. Many recipes call for parboiled peas as they longer to cook. Parboiling them in advances ensures that they get completely cooked in the final dish.
How to select Green peas, Matar?
When purchasing garden peas, look for ones whose pods are firm, velvety and smooth. Their color should be a lively medium green. Those whose green color is especially light or dark, or those that are yellow, whitish or are speckled with gray, should be avoided. Additionally, do not choose pods that are puffy, water soaked or have mildew residue. The pods should contain peas of sufficient number and size that there is not much empty room in the pod. All varieties of fresh peas should be displayed in a refrigerated case since heat will hasten the conversion of their sugar content into starch. Frozen peas are preferable to canned peas as they retain their flavor and have lower sodium content.
How to use Green peas, Matar?· Fresh peas are often eaten boiled and flavored with butter and/or spearmint as a side dish vegetable. Salt and pepper are also commonly added to peas when served.
· Fresh peas are also used in pot pies, salads and casseroles. You can make Chaat, Kachori, Aloo Matar and it can be a part of your Biryanis or Pulav.
· In India, fresh peas are used in various dishes such as Aloo matar (curried potatoes with peas) or Matar paneer butter masala , Shahi matar paneer (paneer cheese with peas), though they can be substituted with frozen peas as well. Peas are also eaten raw, as they are sweet when fresh off the bush.
· Green peas are often made into soups like a Fresh green pea soup or simply eaten on their own the peas are roasted and salted, and eaten as Quick green pea snack. Delicious and lemony Green peas puris or Green pea masala puris can be made and enjoyed in your meal· In Chinese cuisine, pea sprouts are commonly used in stir-fries.
How to store Green peas, Matar?
If you will not be using fresh peas on the day of purchase, which is the best way to enjoy them, you should refrigerate them as quickly as possible in order to preserve their sugar content, preventing it from turning into starch. Unwashed, unshelled peas stored in the refrigerator in a bag or unsealed container will keep for several days. Fresh peas can also be blanched for one or two minutes and then frozen and used for months.
9 Magnificent Green Peas benefits (Matar) + Healthy Recipes
1. Green Peas benefits for Weight loss: If you’re trying to lose weight then green peas are a healthy option to be included in your diet as they are rich in insoluble dietary fibre or high in fiber which will make you feel fuller for a long time and prevent you from eating (1) (2). Being a source of vegetarian protein it aids in weight loss (3).
2. Bone Health: Green Peas are rich in Vitamin K which aids in bone metabolism. Bone metabolism is a continuous process where mature bone tissue is removed from the skeleton and replaced by new tissue. When injuries occur to the bone like fractures or bruises, then Vitamin K sets in to heal the injury. Vitamin K prevents the loss of bone density and therefore prevents the onset of Osteoporosis (4). Green peas are also rich in bone enhancing mineral Phosphorus which helps in building bones (5).
3. Vegetarian Protein: Peas are a very good source of vegetarian protein. Nowadays many companies have started making pea protein powders, these are good for vegetarians and vegans. But people who consume dairy or non veg products can obtain high quality protein from whey powder or other dairy and non-vegetarian sources.
Click here to know more about the 9 Magnificent Green Peas benefits (Matar) + Healthy Recipes.
Nutrition Information for Green Peas, Matar
Nutritional Information for 1 Cup Green Peas, Matar
One Cup of Green Peas, Matar is 140 grams.
RDA stands for Recommended Daily Allowance.
10.22 grams of Protein
22.26 grams of Carbs
0.14 grams of Fat
61.90 mcg of Vitamin K = 51.58% of RDA (about 120 mcg)
12.04 grams is the amount of Fiber = 48.16% of RDA (about 25 grams)
194.60 mg of Phosphorus (P) = 32.43% of RDA (about 600 mg)
12.60 mg Vitamin C = 31.50% of RDA (about 40 mg)
0.37 mg of Vitamin B1, Thiamine = 28.46% of RDA (about 1.2 to 1.5 mg)
1.79 mg of Vitamin B3, Niacin = 14.91% of RDA (about 12 mg)
47.60 mg of Magnesium (Mg) = 13.60% of RDA (about 350 mg)
0.26 mg of Vitamin B6, Pyridoxine = 13. 0% of RDA (about 2 mg)
2.10 mg of Iron (Fe) = 10.0% of RDA (about 21 mg)
12.60 mcg of Folic Acid = 6.30% of RDA (about 200 mcg)
28.0 mg of Calcium (Ca) = 4.66% of RDA (about 600 mg)
0.04 mg of Vitamin B2, Riboflavin = 3.63% of RDA (about 1.1 mg)
116.2 mcg of Vitamin A = 2.42 % of RDA (about 4800 mcg)
110.60 mg of Potassium (K) = 2.35% of RDA (about 4,700 mg)
0.29 mg Vitamin E = 1.45% of RDA (about 20 mg)
10.92 mg of Sodium (Na) = 0.57% of RDA (about 1902 mg)
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.