Last Updated : Feb 10,2018
Viewed 12883 times
Also Known As
Granny Smith Apple
Description of Green Apple
Green apples are light green in colour and have crisp and juicy white flesh, which has a tart taste compared to red apples. Green apple has its share of die-hard fans who relish it as a snack and in recipes like salads.
Chopped green apple
Green apples can be chopped into small or big pieces as desired. Take a sharp knife, slice off the stem and then cut it into half from the centre. Cut each half in half again and remove the seeds from centre. Chop the green apples into the desired size.
Green apple cubes
First core the clean and washed green apple and cut it into segments or strips. Then, line up the strips with your non-working hand and cut them into square pieces. Cube them as per the recipe's specifications. Generally green apples are cubed without removing the skin, but if the recipe requires peeled green apple cubes, peel the apple and then cut into cubes of desired size. Use as required.
Sliced green apple
For thick or thin apple slices, clean and wash the green apples. Place a green apple on a chopping board and cut it in half and remove the core. Slice using a sharp knife by cutting vertically across the cutting board. Slice them thinly or thickly as per the recipe requirement.
How to Select Green Apple
• Select green apples that are fresh and hard, with a firm texture.
• They must have a vibrant light green colour. Sometimes there may be small whitish spots, which is okay.
• However, avoid ones that have brown spots, cuts or blemishes.
Culinary Uses of Green Apple
• Green apples may be eaten raw, without adding anything to it.
• They are a lovely addition to salads.
• Chopped green apples can also be added to mixed fruit juices and fruit cocktails, to improve the flavour and give an exciting crunch.
• Thin slices of green apple can be arranged over puddings and cakes to add to the appearance and flavour.
• Green apples can be cored and stuffed with various fillings to make an exciting snack.
How to Store Green Apple
• Green apples must be kept refrigerated.
• They have the tendency to absorb odours, so be mindful of what you store with it.
• To keep them fresh for a week or more, first wash the apples thoroughly, pat them dry, place in perforated net bags or zip lock bags and then refrigerate.
Health Benefits of Green Apple
• Research shows that the phytochemicals in green apple help in fighting chronic diseases, if consumed daily.
• Its peel consists of dietary fibre, mainly insoluble fibre, which helps in reducing weight.
• Due to presence of flavonoids, apple helps fight cancer, especially skin and lung Cancer.
• The compound quercitin, a major component in green apple peels, helps to lower sugar levels and manage type-2 diabetes mellitus.
• Being low in fat, it is a boon for weight watchers.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.