Last Updated : Jan 02,2018
Viewed 3860 times
Grapefruit juice is the fruit juice from grapefruits. It is rich with Vitamin C and ranges from sweet-tart to very sour. Variations include white grapefruit, pink grapefruit and ruby red grapefruit juice. The grapefruit is a subtropical citrus tree grown for its bitter fruit. The fruit is yellow-orange skinned and largely oblate, and ranges in diameter from 10-15 cm. The flesh is segmented and acidic, varying in color depending on the cultivars, which include white, pink and red pulps of varying sweetness. The family of flavors for grapefruit juice range from highly acidic and somewhat bitter to sweet and tart. Tart and tangy with an underlying sweetness, grapefruit has a juiciness that rivals that of the ever popular orange and sparkles with many of the same health promoting benefits.
How to select
The fruits to be used for juicing should be heavy for their size as this usually indicates that they feature thin skins and therefore a higher concentration of juicier flesh. Those that have overly rough or wrinkled skin usually tend to be thick skinned and should be avoided. For the most antioxidants, choose fully ripened grapefruit. Packaged juice cans and tetra paks should be checked for best before date and traces of leakages and bulging.
· Grapefruit juice as dressing, add a tangy spark to green salads.
· Instead of your morning glass of Orange Juice, have a glass of grapefruit juice.
· Grapefruit juice can be added to many cocktails and mocktails with other juices or alcohol.
How to store
Since grapefruits are juicier when they're slightly warm rather than cool, store them at room temperature if you are planning on consuming them within a week of purchase. If you will not be using them within this time period, store them in the refrigerator crisper where they will keep fresh for two to three weeks. The grape fruit juice should be consuming shortly after extraction or within a day of refrigeration.
· Grapefruit juice is an excellent source of many nutrients and phytochemicals, able to contribute to a healthy diet.
· Grapefruit juice is a good source of vitamin C,pectin fiber and the pink and red hues contain the beneficial antioxidant lycopene.
· Studies have shown grapefruit helps lower cholesterol and there is evidence that the seeds have high levels of antioxidant properties
· It also eases constipation, as it causes loosening of the bowels and stimulates defecation
· With its high fiber content and low glycemic load, grapefruit juice may also be a secret weight-loss weapon.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.