Also known as Lehsun,garlic
What is Garlic, Lehsun? Allium sativum, commonly known as garlic, is a species in the onion family Alliaceae. The bulb of garlic, the most commonly used part of the plant, is divided into numerous fleshy sections called cloves. The leaves, stems (scape), and flowers (bulbils) on the head (spathe) are also edible and are most often consumed while immature and still tender. The papery, protective layers of "skin" over various parts of the plant and the roots attached to the bulb are the only parts not considered palatable.
Chop garlic into small or slightly bigger pieces on a chopping board using a sharp knife.
Crush the roots in a mortar and pestle to get coarsely crushed garlic.
Heat the oil in a pan. Add the chopped garlic and stir gently but constantly until they turn golden brown in colour. Drain on an absorbent paper and use as required.
Seperate each clove from the whole garlic bunch, peel it using a knife and remove the skin. You can then use it a sper recipe requirements, like to finely crush it or roughly crush it, either it can finely chopped or roughly chopped, sliced, etc.
Grind the chopped garlic in a grinder to get a garlic paste. You may add salt, green chillies and other spices to enhance the flavor.
Hold the peeled garlic on a chopping board and slice the garlic to get thick or thin rounds as per the recipe. Slicing the garlic with a small paring is more comfortable.
This requires grating the garlic after removing the skin in a hand held grater.
Cut the garlic longitudinally to get thin or thick strips as per the recipe.
How to select Garlic, Lehsun? Try to pick out sturdy crisp stalks which do not appear wilted, and you should also check for mold and mildew on the garlic.
How to use Garlic, Lehsun? · Garlic is widely used around the world for its pungent flavour as a seasoning or condiment.
· It is often paired with onion, tomato, or ginger. The parchment-like skin is much like the skin of an onion and is typically removed before using in raw or cooked form
· Children loves to eat Cheesy Garlic French Bread
when they are hungry.
· Oils are often flavored with garlic cloves. These infused oils are used to season all categories of vegetables, meats, breads and pasta.
· In some cuisine, the young bulbs are pickled for 3-6 weeks in a mixture of sugar, salt, and spices. In Europe, the shoots are pickled and eaten as an appetizer.
How to store Garlic, Lehsun? It is traditionally hung; softneck varieties are often braided in strands, called "plaits" or grappes. Peeled cloves may be stored in wine or vinegar in the refrigerator.
Health benefits of Garlic, Lehsun · Garlic has been proven to lower cholesterol and thin the blood, which helps prevent stroke, high blood pressure and heart disease. Garlic is great for the heart and circulatory system.
· It blocks the growth of cancer cells; therefore, people who eat garlic tend to develop less stomach and colon cancers.
· Garlic is also alleged to help regulate blood sugar levels. Regular and prolonged use of therapeutic amounts of aged garlic extracts lower blood homocysteine level.
· In modern naturopathy, garlic is used as a treatment for intestinal worms and other intestinal parasites.
· Garlic cloves are used as a remedy for infections (especially chest problems), digestive disorders, and fungal infections.