garden cress seeds
Last Updated : Mar 01,2018
Viewed 98916 times
Also known as
Halim, Chandrashoor, Asalu
Garden cress) is a fast-growing, edible herb that is botanically related to watercress and mustard, sharing their peppery, tangy flavor and aroma.It is a green, cool-season perennial plant used as a leafy vegetable, typically used as a garnish. Undisturbed, the plant can grow to a height of two feet with minimal maintenance. When mature, garden cress produces white or light-pink flowers, and small seed pods. It has long leaves at the bottom of the stem and small, bright-green, feather-like leaves arranged on opposite sides of its stalks at the top.
Soaked garden cress seeds
Soak the garden cress seeds in enough water for 30 minutes or till they swell up and use as per the recipe.
How to select
When buying cress, look for firm, evenly coloured, rich green leaves. Avoid cress with any signs of slime, wilting, or discoloration. The seeds should be firm and without any stone or debris or dust.
· Garden Cress is added to soups, sandwiches and salads for its tangy flavor.
· It is also eaten as sprouts, and the fresh or dried seed pods can be used as a peppery seasoning
· In England cut cress shoots are typically used in sandwiches with boiled eggs, mayonnaise and salt
· Kheer made of garden cress seeds increases milk production and secretion in lactating mothers.
How to store
If stored in plastic, it can last up to five days in a refrigerator. To prolong the life of cress, place the stems in a glass container with water and cover them, refrigerating the cress until it is needed.
· Garden cress is an important source of iron, folic acid, calcium, vitamins C, E and A. Because of its high iron and protein content, it is often given post-partum to lactating mothers .
· The seed contains arachidic and linoleic fatty acids.
· The seeds are high in calories and protein, whereas the leaves are an excellent source of vitamin A, C and folate
· Garden cress seeds are good expectorants and when chewed they treat sore throat, cough, asthma and headache.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.