garden cress seeds
Last Updated : May 08,2020
Viewed 150678 times
Also known as
Halim, Chandrashoor, Asalu
Description of Garden Cress, Halim Garden cress) is a fast-growing, edible herb that is botanically related to watercress and mustard, sharing their peppery, tangy flavor and aroma.It is a green, cool-season perennial plant used as a leafy vegetable, typically used as a garnish. Undisturbed, the plant can grow to a height of two feet with minimal maintenance. When mature, garden cress produces white or light-pink flowers, and small seed pods. It has long leaves at the bottom of the stem and small, bright-green, feather-like leaves arranged on opposite sides of its stalks at the top.
Soaked garden cress seeds
Soak the garden cress seeds in enough water for 30 minutes or till they swell up and use as per the recipe.
How to select Garden Cress, Halim
When buying cress, look for firm, evenly coloured, rich green leaves. Avoid cress with any signs of slime, wilting, or discoloration. The seeds should be firm and without any stone or debris or dust.
Culinary Uses of Garden Cress, Halim
· Garden Cress is added to soups, sandwiches and salads for its tangy flavor.
· It is also eaten as sprouts, and the fresh or dried seed pods can be used as a peppery seasoning
· In England cut cress shoots are typically used in sandwiches with boiled eggs, mayonnaise and salt
· Kheer made of garden cress seeds increases milk production and secretion in lactating mothers.
How to store Garden Cress, Halim
If stored in plastic, it can last up to five days in a refrigerator. To prolong the life of cress, place the stems in a glass container with water and cover them, refrigerating the cress until it is needed.
Health benefits of Garden Cress, Halim
1. Reduces Fatigue - Cures Anaemia : A tbsp. of these seeds offer 12 mg of iron, which is difficult to source it from any other ingredient from such a small quantity. 60% of iron requirement is fulfilled by consuming a tbsp. A simple concoction of Halim Water once a day or at least 3 to 4 times for 1 to 2 months can help increase your hemoglobin levels and cure anemia to some extent. Add a tsp of lemon juice to this water as lemon juice abounds in vitamin C, which further enhances iron absorption. Try it out…
2. Acts as Galactogogue - Increases Breast Milk Production : Being rich in iron and a galactagogue (a food which enhances breast milk production), it’s beneficial for lactating moms. It’s considered a post-partum food, which is served to nursing mothers usually in the form of ladoo. This recipe of Halim Ladoo is a must-try for new mums feeding their bundle of joy.
Click here to know more about the Health benefits of Garden Cress, (Halim).
These tiny seeds are a bundle of nutrients. They abound in many nutrients right from iron to calcium and protein to B vitamins. Let’s peep into its nutrition facts in detail.
Nutritive Information for Garden Cress Seeds (Halim):
1 tbsp of garden cress seeds is about 12 grams
RDA stands for Recommended Daily Allowance.
Energy - 55 calories
Protein –3 g
Carbohydrate – 4 g
Fat – 2.9 g
Fiber – 0.9 g
0.07 mg of Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) = 5.9% of RDA ( (about 1.2 to 1.6 mg for men)
0.07 mg of Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) = 5.2% of RDA (about 1.4 to 1.9 mg for men)
1.7 mg of Vitamin B3 = 14.3 % of RDA (about 12 mg)
45.2 mg of Calcium = 4.5% of RDA (about 1000 mg)
12 mg of Iron = 60% of RDA (about 20 mg)
86.8 mg of Magnesium = 14.7% of RDA (about 350 mg)
150.5 mg of Phosphorus = 14.5% of RDA (about 600 mg)
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.