Last Updated : Apr 02,2023
What is Fennel Seeds, Saunf? Glossary | Uses, Benefits, Recipes |
Viewed 88222 times
Also known as
What is fennel seeds, saunf, sauf?
Fennel seed is a highly aromatic and flavourful herb, derived from a shrub. The seeds are pale greenish in colour and have a faintly sweet and refreshing flavour.Fennel plant is known to have originated in Mediterranean, but today India is also one of the biggest exporter of this herb. It abounds in many nutrients like fiber, vitamins and minerals.
Crushed fennel seeds
Crushed fennel seeds refer to the fennel seeds which have been crushed or pounded into a coarse powder. It can be easily prepared at home. Roast and cool the fennel seeds and crush them coarsely using a mortar-pestle or placing them between 2 plastic sheets and crushing using a rolling pin. Crushed fennel seeds can be stored in an air-tight container and use as required.
Fennel seeds powder
To make fennel seeds powder, grind the required amount of fennel seeds in a dry blender. Grind it coarsely or finely depending on the recipe requirement. Store this powder in a cool and dry place. It can be added to dry masala powders used for making various gravies and curries. This powder may also be added to pickles, like mango pickle, lemon pickle, etc.
How to select fennel seeds, saunf
• Always choose fennel seeds that are not contaminated with dust, stones and other debris.
• Prefer those sold in sealed packets, to ensure a good aroma.
• Do not go for grey fennel seeds as they are very mature and are likely to have lost their flavour.
Culinary Uses of fennel seeds, saunf
• Indians need no introduction to Fennel seeds, saunf as it is commonly used in most households as a mouth freshener and digestive aid after meals. Some prefer having raw saunf, while other prefer roasted and salted saunf. See our multiseed mukhwas recipe.
. The fiber in saunf adds bulk and helps in easy bowel movements too. Senior citizens who often experience constipation can chew on fennels seeds after meals or opt for Fennel Tea to relieve constipation.
• Add fennel seeds to salads, soups and stews.
• It is an essential herb in the Bengali five-spice mix (panch phoron), which is used to flavour vegetable dishes and curries.
• It is also added to risotto.
How to store fennel seeds, saunf
• Fennel seeds should be stored in air-tight bottles away from moisture and pests.
Health Benefits of fennel seeds, saunf
Benefits of Fennel Seeds, Saunf : Aids in Digestion: The fiber content of fennel seeds is enough to prove its digestive benefits. 1 tbsp of saunf provides 2.3 g of fiber. Relieves Constipation: The fiber in saunf adds bulk and helps in easy bowel movements too. The high fiber from saunf helps to reduce the bad cholesterol (LDL) in the body thus preventing the formation of plaque and in turn, heart attack. See detailed benefits of fennel seeds, saunf.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.