Viewed 53679 times
Also known as
Sabza seeds, Subja, Basil seeds
Falooda or Faluda is a popular beverage in the Indian subcontinent made primarily by mixing rose syrup with vermicelli and tapioca seeds along with either milk or water. The falooda seeds are basically basil seeds which are added to falooda drink or ice creams.The Falooda Seeds are optional since they don't really have a flavor, but they do add to the authentic look , and are actually very good for digestion in a hot climate. Falooda seeds are known variously as sabza, subza, takmaria, tukmaria, selasih . They are used for their medicinal properties in Ayurveda, the traditional medicinal system of India. They are also used as popular drinks in Southeast Asia.
Soaked falooda seeds
Soak the seeds overnight in a cup of water to get soaked seeds.
How to select
The falooda seeds should be firm and without any stone or debris or dust.
· When soaked in water the falooda seeds become gelatinous, and are used in Asian drinks and desserts such as falooda or Sherbet.
· Kheer or ice creams like kulfi can be made with falooda seeds. It is generally added at the last moment, as cooking quickly destroys the flavour
· Falooda seeds are commonly steeped in cream or milk to create an interesting flavor in ice cream or chocolates (such as truffles).
How to store
Store the falooda seeds in an air tight container.
· Sabja seeds or falooda seeds are taken in sherbets as they produce a cooling sensation within the stomach.
· Sabja reduces the nauseous feeling and controls vomiting.
· Falooda seeds are good expectorants and when chewed they treat sore throat, cough, asthma and headache
· Scientific studies have established that compounds in falooda seed oil have potent antioxidant, anti-cancer, anti-viral, and anti-microbial properties.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.