Last Updated : Jan 21,2019
Viewed 32513 times
Also Known as
Description of Dried figs, Anjeer Thought to be the sweetest fruit, figs are also one of the oldest fruits recognized by man. It's no wonder the fig has been enjoyed for centuries. Figs grow on the Ficus tree, which is a member of the Mulberry family. They are unique in that they have an opening, called the "ostiole" or "eye," which is not connected to the tree. Figs range dramatically in color and subtly in texture depending upon the variety. A fig occupies a high position among fruits. The majority of figs are dried, either by exposure to sunlight or through an artificial process, creating a sweet and nutritious dried fruit that can be enjoyed throughout the year.
Chopped dried figs
Chop the dried figs with the help of a knife or scissors, while doing so dip cutting tool into warm water occasionally to prevent sticking. You can finely chop or roughly chop as per the recipe requirement.
Dried figs puree
To make dried figs puree, it is essential to soak it in warm water for a soft and smooth paste. Soak it in warm water for 15-20 minutes. Drain them as they become soft and add it to grinder and puree it. Add water for the required consistency and use as preferred.
Soaked dried figs
Soak the dried figs in warm water for 15 mins. Drain them as they become soft. Dry the same in shelter. Further, enjoy on its own or can be used to make sauces, dessert, puree etc.
How to Select Dried figs, Anjeer
Dried figs are readily available in the market. Select figs that are clean and dry, with smooth, unbroken skin.
Culinary Uses of Dried figs, Anjeer
· Dried figs can simply be eaten, used in a recipe as is, or simmered for several minutes in water or fruit juice to make them plumper and juicier. This can be topped on ice cream, yoghurt or desserts.
· Dried figs can be used interchangeably with prunes, dried apricots, and dates in most recipes.
· When preparing oatmeal or any other whole grain breakfast porridge, add some dried figs.
· Figs are used as a sweetener. Hence often used for cakes, pudding, custards or jams.
How to Store Dried figs, Anjeer
Dried figs can be stored in the original sealed package at room temperature for a month. For longer storage, keep them in the refrigerator, six months to a year. Opened dried figs should be transferred to a sealable plastic bag and stored in the refrigerator.
Health Benefits of Dried figs, Anjeer
· High in potassium, iron, fiber and calcium
· Figs are also used for medicinal purposes as a diuretic and laxative.
· Excellent remedy for Piles. 2 or 3 dried figs soaked in hot water overnight, taken early morning works best.
· Gives comfort to people suffering from Asthma
Nutritive Information for Dried Figs (Anjeer):
½ cup of chopped dried figs is about 50 grams
RDA stands for Recommended Daily Allowance.
Energy - 125 calories
Protein – 1.6 g
Carbohydrate – 31.9 g
Fat – 0.5 g
Fiber – 4.9 g
81 mg of Calcium = 8.1% of RDA (about 1000 mg)
1 mg of Iron = 5% of RDA (about 20 mg)
34 mg of Magnesium = 9.71% of RDA (about 350 mg)
34 mg of Phosphorus = 5.6% of RDA (about 600 mg)
340 mg of Potassium = 7.2% of RDA (about 4700 mg)
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.