Last Updated : Jan 22,2018
Viewed 3557 times
Also Known As
Brown Sugar Cinnamon, Flavoured Cane Sugar, Quill Sugar.
Cinnamon Sugar is prepared by mixing ground cinnamon and granulated sugar. It is used as a topping or a spice dressing over deserts. It has a spicy and sweet flavour, and is brown in colour.
How to Select
• If making at home, select whole cinnamon with a strong flavour. Choose sugar with very small granules so that it will be easy to grind.
• You may also buy pre-mixed Cinnamon Sugar, in which case you should choose a reliable brand, check the packaging and use-by date.
• A variety of sweets and desserts are topped with cinnamon sugar, to give an appealing and characteristic flavour to the recipe.
• You could sprinkle it over an apple pie crust before baking.
• Cinnamon sugar may be dusted over apple slices, to make a simple snack.
• It can also be used to garnish cooked Basmati rice or tandoori chicken.
• Spread butter over toasted bread and sprinkle cinnamon sugar over it. It can be relished at tea time.
• Cinnamon sugar biscuits are loved by children and elders alike.
• Mouth-watering cinnamon sugar donut muffins can be made, wherein you need to sprinkle cinnamon sugar just after removing the muffins from the oven.
• It can be stirred into beverages such as mocha.
• Other sweets over which it can be used include:
o French Toast
o Raisin Bread
o Coffee cake
o Cinnamon Rolls
How to Store
• When prepared at home, it can be stored in a glass bottle or a vacuum bottle in a dry place.
• Do not refrigerate, as moisture may lead the powder to granulate and sugar lumps may be formed.
• Always lid the container tight once opened.
• Since it consists of cinnamon as a chief ingredient, it has lots of nutritive benefits.
• Cinnamon consists of essential oils and certain volatile acids which have the power of healing.
• Cinamaldehyde present in cinnamon works on the blood platelets and prevents unwanted clumping of blood after a physical injury. Thus it is considered as anti-clotting and anti-inflammatory food.
• Researches also agree on its anti-microbial activity. It helps stop the growth of bacteria, fungi and the yeast Candida.
• When accompanied with major meals, cinnamon controls the rise in blood sugar levels. Hence it is good for diabetics.
• Consumption of cinnamon especially in winters, gives a warming effect to the body.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.