Last Updated : Jan 08,2019
Viewed 59589 times
Also known as
What is Chole masala? Chole masala is a blend of select spices used in the preparation of chick peas or kabuli chana. The spices included in chole masala may vary from family to family, brand to brand, but it typically contains bay leaf, mustard seeds, cumin, coriander seeds, cloves, red chillies, peppercorn, and anaardana (pomegranate seeds).
Commercial mixtures predominantly contain dried red chilli, dried garlic, ginger powder, sesame, mustard seeds, turmeric, coriander, bay leaves, star anise and fennel. They generally include more of the less expensive spices.
How to select Chole masala
• It can be made at home or purchased readymade from grocery stores. It is commonly available.
• Before buying, check the seal of the package and the expiry date. Choose a pack size as per your need.
• To make chole masala at home, dry roast all the spices on a low flame until fragrant, then grind in a spice/coffee grinder.
Culinary uses Chole masala
• As the name suggests, chole masala is used to prepare chick peas, especially Punjabi chole preparations, which are served with roti, naan, chapati, basmati rice or any other way you desire.
How to store Chole masala
• Store chole masala in an airtight container in a cool dark place.
• Although it keeps well for a long time, it loses its aroma and flavour over time. So, do not stock too much.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.