Last Updated : Mar 02,2019
Viewed 28086 times
Also Known as
Split Black Eye dal, split cow peas
These are split black eye beans, creamy white in color and have a black mark on their inner curve.
Soaked and cooked chola dal
Clean the chola dal and remove any kind of stone or dirt. To soak chola dal, first wash it twice with water and then soak it in warm water. Drain it and boil it in vesselful of water or pressure cook till done.
Soaked chola dal
Clean the chola dal and remove any kind of stone or dirt. To soak chola dal, first wash it twice with water and then soak it in warm water. Soaking in water reduces the cooking time - thereby saving on time as well as energy.
How to Select
Always choose large, oblong beans are creamy-white with a black "eye" on one side. The skin is quite thick. They have a subtle, nutty aroma and a rich creamy taste that is slightly earthy
· Chola dal is very easy to cook and tastes delicious.
· The flour made from this dal can be used to make Dhoklas, Chorafali - a popular Diwali snack.
· Chola dal Dhoklas is a good protein source and a great snack.
How to Store
Beans and lentils can have very small stones but this is rare. Small stones are difficult to remove from beans and lentils because stones are organic and have to be removed by human hands. Always store dry beans in a dry airtight container at room temperature. Do not store dry bean in the refrigerator. Once cooked, beans can be kept in the refrigerator in a covered container for up to 5 days and in an airtight container. Beans are best used within one year. They can lose their moisture and take longer to soak and cook. Always rinse and sort beans before cooking.
· Chola dal is an excellent source of potassium, rich in the best sort of fiber - soluble fiber - which helps to eliminate cholesterol from the body.
· They are a good source of folate, potassium, copper, phosphorous and manganese.
· It is certainly a high quality protein.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.