Last Updated : Aug 30,2018
Viewed 11781 times
A chocolate biscuit is a small, flat, crisp bakery product that is usually made with flour, sweetener like sugar or honey, butter or vegetable oils, melted chocolates or cocoa powder and a chemical leavening agent such as baking powder. They have a firm browned crust and a soft interior, and many come in various shapes and sizes.
There are many forms of chocolate biscuits including cookies and crackers. The term chocolate biscuit also applies to sandwich-type biscuits, where a layer of chocolate or vanilla cream is sandwiched between two chocolate biscuits. They are commonly eaten as a snack, but may also be used for other recipes.
The following are some of the variants of chocolate biscuits:
• Chocolate Coated Biscuits: These biscuits may be coated with milk or dark chocolates. The melted chocolate is not added during baking; but the baked biscuits are dipped in chocolate sauce and sometimes garnished with nuts or chocolate flakes.
• Chocolate Biscuits with Nuts: These specialty biscuits have nuts like almonds coated with chocolate and mixed with the dough, before baking.
• Chocolate Sandwich Biscuits with Soft Cream Centre: Here, the cream is placed between the chocolate biscuits after baking; or cream or melted chocolate gets added before baking. In the latter case, the edges of two flat breads need to be pressed firmly, so that the cream does not ooze out.
Crushed chocolate biscuit
Take 7-8 chocolate biscuits and remove the cream from the biscuits. Place them on a chopping board, take a rolling pin and roll it over the biscuits a couple of times till they are coarsely crushed. Alternatively put the biscuits in a mixer and blend for 1 to 2 seconds to get a coarse mixture.
How to select
• Check the brand and the expiry date before buying.
• Try to choose brands packaged in cardboard or plastic boxes as the chances of breakage of biscuits are lower.
• Choose the whole-grain variety whenever possible
• Biscuits are usually enjoyed as a snack with a cold or hot beverage.
• Chocolate biscuits may form a base for a chocolate pudding or a chocolate pie.
• Dip the chocolate biscuits in honey or place jam in between the biscuits to enjoy it as a dessert.
How to store
• The chocolate biscuits should be stored in an airtight container.
• Biscuits are a quick source of carbohydrate, thus keeping hunger away.
• Chocolate biscuits, made with whole wheat or oats are a rich source of B-complex vitamins and dietary fibre.
• Biscuits should ideally be enjoyed in limited quantities only as a snack and not a meal replacer as most chocolate biscuits are made from maida, refined sugar and hydrogenated fats.
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.