Last Updated : Dec 08,2018
Viewed 2127 times
Also known as Salvia hispanica
What are Chia Seeds? Chia seed is a very small seed, which is black and white in colour. An edible seed from the dessert plant Salvia hispanica, originally grown in Mexico, the chia seed is a nutrient-dense ingredient. It gives you a punch of energy! Chia means strength, and that speaks volume about its goodness.
It is a gluten-free whole grain, with a very mild, nutty flavour. The quickest way to have chia seeds is to add a tablespoon full of it to 8 to 10 ounces of water or juice. You can drink it right away, or let it sit for 10 minutes till the seeds start to gel. That gives the drink a wonderful mouth-feel.
How to select Chia Seeds • Make sure the chia seeds have a blackish colour, as this indicates good quality.
• The poor quality ones would have turned slightly brownish yellow in colour.
• Chia seeds are available in dry fruit stores and gourmet food stores.
Culinary uses of Chia Seeds • Chia seeds can be had just plain, mixed with water.
• Soaked chia seeds can be added to juices and smoothies to get a fabulous, gel-like texture.
• Energy Chia Seed Drink with Lime and Honey is a super tasty way to enjoy this wonder seed.
• Chia seeds can be used to garnish salads.
• It can also be added to curds.
• Chia seeds are a helpful ingredient to thicken sauces and gravies, and to make puddings.
How to store Chia Seeds • Store in an airtight container in a cool and dry place.
Health Benefits of Chia Seeds • Chia seed is an easily-digestible little seed loaded with antioxidants (ALA), which trigger energy production in the body.
• It boosts energy, and is an amazing food for endurance athletes.
• It is also rich in fibre and omega-3 fatty acids.
• One tablespoon of chia seeds, or about 12 grams, contains 2.1 grams of ALA, 4 grams of fibre, 2 grams of protein and 58 calories.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.