Last Updated : Oct 14,2020
Viewed 22774 times
Also known as
What is Cherry Tomatoes? Cherry tomatoes are slightly smaller and sweeter than conventional tomatoes. They are a popular variety of tomato all over the world, and they can be found in a wide assortment of dishes. They are also remarkably easy to grow, and they mature quickly in temperate zones. Since cherry tomatoes can get costly at the grocery store, some consumers prefer to grow them at home, where they can flourish like weeds under the right conditions.
Many cherry tomatoes are about the size of a thumb tip, and sometimes somewhat larger. They are often about cherry sized, which is probably how the small tomatoes got their name. They are round to oblong, with colors which may range from green-streaked heirloom varieties to rich, glossy red. Despite being small in size, cherry tomatoes are packed with flavor, and they are often quite sweet to boot. Nature sweet vine ripened cherry tomatoes are a smaller variety of tomato and are approximately 20 grams in weight.
Cherry tomato halves
Wash and dry the cherry tomatoes and place them on a chopping board. Take a sharp knife and cut each cherry tomato into half horizontally from the centre. Use as required.
How to select Cherry tomatoes
Good-quality cherry tomatoes will be firm, smooth-skinned and be at least pink in color. Tomatoes that are partially green will ripen if left at room temperature. Avoid product that is too soft, wrinkled or that has broken skin. Tomatoes with a green blush will ripen, but avoid product with blotchy green or brown areas.
10 Uses of Cherry Tomatoes
Cherry tomatoes are a smaller, thumb tip sized variants of tomatoes that are popular all over the world. Taste-wise they are juicier and sweeter than the regular plum tomatoes and available in many colors like yellow, green and red. Since they are perfectly bite sized, they are all the more fun to eat.
1. Cherry tomatoes are a popular choice as a garnish on a hot or cold dish, on a starter or on main course dishes like a Mini Pizza.
2. Cut the cherry tomatoes in half, place on a slice of baguette, drizzle with a little olive oil and add a sprinkling of salt and pepper and that itself makes a great starter. To this bruschetta, you can add other cheeses like feta, ricotta and other veggies too. A unique bruschetta that can be made is a Burrata Cheese and Cherry Tomato Crostini.
3. Use it in either cooked or uncooked salads with different types of grains, vegetables and fruits. They provide a very unique, juicy texture to a salad like Barley Feta and Spinach Salad.
For complete 10 uses of Cherry tomatoes read this article.
How to Store Cherry tomatoes
Since tomatoes are sensitive to cold, and it will impede their ripening process, store them at room temperature and out of direct exposure to sunlight. They will keep for up to a week, depending upon how ripe they are when purchased. Store fresh ripe tomatoes in a cool, dark place, stem-side down, and use within a few days.
Health Benefits Cherry tomatoes
· Tomatoes are low in Sodium, and very low in Saturated Fat and Cholesterol.
· They're also a good source of Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol), Thiamin, Niacin,Vitamin B6, Folate, Magnesium, Phosphorus and Copper, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Potassium and Manganese.
· Cherry tomatoes have higher levels of flavonols than do their larger cousins.
· Packed with antioxidants including vitamins A for growth, healthy hair, skin, bones, teeth and eyes as well as resistance to respiratory infections.
· Vitamin C for anti-ageing, wound healing, decreasing blood cholesterol and prevention of infections. Assists the body in absorbing iron and Lycopene.
· High in vitamin C they stimulate the body's immune system.
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.