Description of Buckwheat groats
Buckwheat groats are the hulled seeds of the buckwheat plant. These tiny, triangular, soft, white seeds have a mild, grassy flavor and are a treasure-trove of nutrients, which you must try to include in your diet. You can roast it and add to cereal mixes, soups and salads, or make a tasty porridge out of it.
How to select Buckwheat groats
• Both roasted and unroasted buckwheat groats are available in the market. Choose according to the recipe.
• If purchasing buckwheat groats in a packaged container, check to see if there is a "use-by" date on the package.
• It should be free from any dirt, pebbles etc.
• Whether purchasing buckwheat in bulk or in a package, make sure there is no evidence of moisture.
5 Culinary Uses of Buckwheat groats
1. They can replace rice or any other grain called for in pulao, khichdi, casseroles and more.
2. It is a must-have ingredient for classic Eastern European dishes like kasha varnishkes and potato knish.
3. Buckwheat groats can be steam-cooked like rice for salads and side dishes, or ground into fresh flour. This fresh flour can be used to make soba noodles.
4. Raw buckwheat is easy to sprout at home with a sprouting tray. Rinse and drain and change water twice daily. It would typically take three days and then they are ready to relish.
5. Kickstart your morning with these lip-smacking, nutria-dense Buckwheat Groats Porridge or Buckwheat Groats Strawberry Porridge bowl.
How to store Buckwheat groats
• Buckwheat groats is high in fat content, and must be stored properly to avoid rancidity.
• Place buckwheat groats in an airtight container and store in a cool, dry place.
• If stored properly, buckwheat groats can last up to a year. But, it is better fresh than old, so don't buy so much at once that you have it stored around for months or years.
7 Health Benefits of Buckwheat Groats
1. High in Protein : Buckwheat Groats for Vegetarians is a complete protein and its highly recommended to include in your diet. Also try Buckwheat flour which you can make Buckwheat Dosa and lots of other recipes. They contain 2 essential amino acids, lysine and arginine which are not available in whole grains like jowar and bajra.
2. High in Fiber : Being high in fibre, your food gets digested faster. The high fiber content also gives a filling of satiety of long hours and thus aid in weight loss too.
3. Gluten Free : Buckwheat Groats contain no wheat even though the name suggests it does. They are actually seeds. You can have a healthy Gluten Free Breakfast with Groats. Try Buckwheat Groats Porridge, Apple Porridge and Buckwheat Groats Strawberry Porridge.
4. Supports Heart : Buckwheat has a phytonutrient called Rutin , an antioxidant for your heart. It is prescribed by dietitians to control high blood cholesterol levels and sometimes even high blood pressure.
5. Good for Diabetics : Since Buckwheat Groats fill you up and don’t raise blood sugar levels they are excellent for Diabetics. It can even make up a one dish meal.
6. Strong Antioxidant with catechin and tannins : These antioxidants prevent the spread of harmful free radicals and hence reduce inflammation in the body.
7. Improves Digestion : Since Buckwheat is high in soluble fiber, it helps in digestion.
Glycemic Index of Buckwheat Groats
Buckwheat Groats has a Glycemic Index of 33 which is low. Glycemic Index are for foods you eat, ranks carbohydrate-containing foods by how quickly they digest and raise your blood sugar or glucose levels. Foods rank from 0 to 50 are low GI, 51 to 69 are medium and 70 to 100 are high. Foods that are high in GI are not suitable for weight loss and diabetics. Foods like Buckwheat Groats have a low GI and hence don't spike your glucose level as they are absorbed slowly. Great for weight loss and diabetics.