Last Updated : Jan 22,2018
Viewed 180 times
Buckwheat groats are the hulled seeds of the buckwheat plant. The tiny triangular seed is a treasure-trove of nutrients, which you must try to include in your diet. You can roast it and add to cereal mixes, soups and salads, or make a tasty porridge out of it.
7 Health Benefits of Buckwheat Groats
1. High in Protein : Buckwheat Groats for Vegetarians is a complete protein and its highly recommended to include in your diet. Also try Buckwheat flour which you can make Buckwheat Dosa and lots of other recipes. They contain 2 essential amino acids, lysine and arginine which are not available in whole grains like jowar and bajra.
2. High in Fiber : Being high in fibre, your food gets digested faster. The high fiber content also gives a filling of satiety of long hours and thus aid in weight loss too.
3. Gluten Free : Buckwheat Groats contain no wheat even though the name suggests it does. They are actually seeds. You can have a healthy Gluten Free Breakfast with Groats. Try Buckwheat Groats Porridge, Apple Porridge and Buckwheat Groats Strawberry Porridge.
4. Supports Heart : Buckwheat has a phytonutrient called Rutin , an antioxidant for your heart. It is prescribed by dietitians to control high blood cholesterol levels and sometimes even high blood pressure.
5. Good for Diabetics : Since Buckwheat Groats fill you up and don’t raise blood sugar levels they are excellent for Diabetics. It can even make up a one dish meal.
6. Strong Antioxidant with catechin and tannins : These antioxidants prevent the spread of harmful free radicals and hence reduce inflammation in the body.
7. Improves Digestion : Since Buckwheat is high in soluble fiber, it helps in digestion.
Glycemic Index of Buckwheat Groats
Buckwheat Groats has a Glycemic Index of 33 which is low. Glycemic Index are for foods you eat, ranks carbohydrate-containing foods by how quickly they digest and raise your blood sugar or glucose levels. Foods rank from 0 to 50 are low GI, 51 to 69 are medium and 70 to 100 are high. Foods that are high in GI are not suitable for weight loss and diabetics. Foods like Buckwheat Groats have a low GI and hence don't spike your glucose level as they are absorbed slowly. Great for weight loss and diabetics.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.