Also known as
Bread toast refers to sliced bread cooked on an open flame or a conventional toaster to get a warm and crisp slice of bread. When such a dry source of heat is applied on the bread, the sugars and proteins on the surface of the bread get cooked to provide a caramelised or brown texture and colour. Toasting bread not just makes it crisp and tasty, but also allows toppings to stay securely on the toasted slice without getting moist. It is also a common method to cook stale bread.
Bread can be toasted in various ways, such as the following:
• Open flame: Here a skewer is used to hold the bread slice over an open flame and toast it till it is done.
• Electric toasters: Bread slices are placed in the narrow slots of the toaster device and the toasting level is set depending on how crisp you want the toast to be. Once the toaster lever is pressed down, the heating element gets activated and toasts the slices as per settings. Once done, the slices automatically pop up.
• Salamander/ Grill: It is less convenient than a conventional toaster. However, when toast is used as a base in recipes involving cheese, this is a preferred method. The bread slice is placed on a salamander and toasted on one side. Once turned, the toppings are placed and then the toast is heated along with the topping.
How to select
• A well-done bread toast will be golden brown or light brown on both sides and have a crunchy and dry texture.
• It is best to have toasts which are fresh out of the toaster as they tend to become stiff after a while.
• Bread toast is a common breakfast option. You need to simply apply butter, jam, marmalade, or other spreads on a perfect toast, and enjoy!
• It is also used for making toast sandwiches, which are two slices of toasts sandwiched with vegetables, eggs etc.
• It is commonly used as a base for Beans on Toast, Eggs on Toast etc.
• Sprinkle buttered toast with sugar and cinnamon to make Cinnamon Toast.
• Cube sliced bread and then toast, either plain or flavoured, to make bread croutons which are used in soups, salads etc.
• Toasted bread, if left over, can be ground into breadcrumbs.
• Toasts, when made with a variety of breads, are excellent alternatives to crackers.
• Cut sliced bread into fancy shapes and then toast. Use these as a canapé base and top with vegetables, cheese, corn, baked beans etc.
How to store
Bread toast is best consumed fresh out of the toaster.