Last Updated : Mar 03,2018
Viewed 1055 times
Also Known as
Brazilian nuts grow on trees in the non-flooded forests of Brazil. The trees are tall and have a long life of 500 to 700 years. These nuts are a part of the fruit pods that grow on the tree. Once the fruit is completely grown, it falls to the ground and the fruit contains the seeds. Each fruit has 10 to 25 seeds in it, and those are the Brazil Nuts!
These nuts have a dark brown thick shell. Within these is a white edible nut with a buttery texture. The nuts are big, weighing approximately 5gm each.
How to buy
• Brazilian Nuts are available in the nuts section in hypermarkets.
• They may be pre-packaged or sold loose, by weight.
• Check the date of packing before buying, because old nuts might have a rancid taste.
• Brazil Nuts can be eaten as such.
• They can be roasted, salted and sweetened.
• You can also coarsely crush the nuts and add them to salads, soups and cakes.
How to store
• Store in an airtight container at room temperature, in a cool and dry place.
• Brazil Nuts are high in calories, but most of it comes from fat.
• It is rich in MUFA, which helps to increase good cholesterol ‘HDL’ and decrease bad cholesterol ‘LDL’.
• It is rich in selenium and vitamin E, which delay ageing.
• High in B-vitamins, which help in various metabolic activities of the body.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.