Last Updated : Jan 19,2018
Viewed 34992 times
Also Known As
Kala Jamun, Jambol, Java Plum.
The fruit Black Jamun are ovoid shaped edible berries, which start green & turn crimson or purplish black when mature, having 1 seed each. It develops by May to July. It tastes a combination of sweet, sour & astringent flavor. On savoring it tends to color the tongue purple leaving a grainy after effect. It comprises glucose and fructose as principal sugars, which impart the sweet taste on ripening.
Chopped black jamun
To chop black jamun firstly, do not select a over riped jamun fruit, wash well, drain and deseed each jamun fruit by carefully slitting on one side of the fruit and pulling out the seed inside.
Then chop the fruit finely or roughly or you can even take out its pulp, as per recipe requirements.
How To Select
Ripened Black Jamun are harvested daily by hand picking or by shaking the branches, usually collected on polythene sheets. While buying, screen out the blemished or bruised fruits as there no standard practice of grading and packaging the fruit available in local markets. Choose the full bloomed soft, pulpy, dark purple ones. Avoid buying the shrink and, very hard textured or the under riped ones. Those fruits, which are packed in leaf cups, covered with perforated polythene or net bags have only little damage.
· Mouth watering black jamun raitha can be made as an accompaniment with pulao. Mix chopped and deseeded Jamun with freshly beaten yogurt. Add chopped coriander and powdered cumin seeds with salt to taste. Serve chilled.
· Jamun pulp is used in preparing sauces and fermented beverages. The alcoholic ones include vinegar, cider and wine.
· Jamun juice can be processed into non fermented ready to serve beverages, squashes, syrups and Jamun flavored ice cream.
· Good quality jelly (due to presence of Resin compound) & flavored sweets can also be made.
· Jamun seeds are powdered and sold to cure diabetes.
How To Store
Jamun fruits are highly perishable& can be stored not more than 2 days at room temperature. Hence it is advisable to pack them in perforated polythene or net bags and then store under refrigeration. This will last fruit freshness up to around 2 weeks.
· Jamun Fruit is said to have the best remedy for all chronic ailments including Diabetes. The compounds namely peptidyglycan and an oligosaccharide present in Black Jamun have been found to play a crucial role in lowering sugar levels in a diabetic person.
· The fruit has also rich in minerals such as manganese, zinc, iron, calcium, sodium and potassium, which play an important role in various bodily functions.
· The ripe jamun fruit is well recognized as a liver stimulant, digestive, carminative and coolant.
· The fresh seeds of jamun fruit reduce blood sugar levels and glucosuria in diabetic patients.
· The fruit juice is used in diarrhea and dysentery and its effectiveness is noted when the patient passes blood-mixed stool.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.