Last Updated : Dec 11,2018
Viewed 12123 times
Also Known As Black or Purple Grapes, Kala Draksh
What is Black Grapes? Grape is a pulpy, smooth-skinned berry grown in clusters on wines. It has a unique flavour that blends sweetness, sourness and sometimes a bit of tartness too. Grapes are available in many flavours and colours, including black, red, green and white.
The flavonoids in grapes give them a deep colour and enjoyable juiciness, while the tannin content leads to a great red wine.
Black grape halves
Take a few black grapes and place them on a chopping board. Take a grape and cut it vertically from the center to get two equal halves using a sharp knife. Use as required.
Chopped black grapes
Place the grapes on a chopping board and cut each grape in half. Now make vertical slits on each half, arrange the strips together and make horizontal slits to get chopped grapes. The slits can be made finely or thickly to get finely chopped or roughly chopped grapes as per recipe requirements. Chopped grapes are usually used as toppings on fruit tarts or as an edible garnish on desserts. Use a mix of various colours of grapes to add to a dish’s visual appeal.
How to Select • Grapes are usually packed in bunches, and stored in soft cardboard boxes.
• Choose the red to dark black coloured grapes, as they are more nutritious compared to the white grape variety.
• Ensure that the grapes are fully ripe with minimal or no blemishes or skin ruptures.
• See to it that the grape bunches are well coloured with plump berries firmly attached to green pliable stems.
7 Uses of Black Grapes Black Grapes is a pulpy, smooth-skinned berry grown in clusters on wines. It has a unique flavour that blends sweetness, sourness and sometimes a bit of tartness too. The flavonoids in grapes give them a deep colour and enjoyable juiciness, while the tannin content leads to a great red wine.
1. Black grapes are best had fresh. They make for a perfect snack for any time of the day.
2. They can be used in different types of salads as well. The variety of salads these grapes can be added to is huge. It can range from a simple fruit salad like a Fruit Chaat to fancier ones with both fruits and veggies combined together with a dressing.
3. Grapes are very juicy and hence can be turned into a really nice fresh juice. The juice can only be of grapes or it can be combined with other different fruits like oranges.
For complete uses of Black grapes read this article.
How to Store • Black Grapes can be refrigerated in sealed bags or frozen for long-term storage.
• Wash the grapes only at the time of serving.
• Its storage life is 30 to 180 days depending on the temperature of storage.
Health Benefits • The presence of flavonoids bestows grapes with immense health benefits.
• It reduces clumping of blood platelets, averts blood clots and strengthens the heart wall.
• Saponins present in the skin of grapes stop the absorption of cholesterol, thus lowering atherosclerosis.
• It has antioxidant properties, which flush out toxins and help fight cancer cells, largely preventing breast, liver, lung and prostate cancer.
• The polyphenols in grapes can protect elastin fibres and collagen in the skin, which resist free radicals.
• The fatty acids and vitamin E in black grapes can breathe life into lifeless hair and give you a glowing skin too.
Glycemic Index Black Grapes has a Glycemic Index of 53 which is medium. Glycemic Index are for foods you eat, ranks carbohydrate-containing foods by how quickly they digest and raise your blood sugar or glucose levels. Foods rank from 0 to 50 are low GI, 51 to 69 are medium and 70 to 100 are high. Foods that are high in GI are not suitable for weight loss and diabetics. Fruits like Grapes have a medium GI and hence consume in moderation.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.