Last Updated : Jan 19,2018
Viewed 11562 times
Banana Puree refers to bananas that have been processed into a soft paste or thick liquid. The processing can be done using a potato masher, blender or simply by pressing the bananas (ripe would be easier to press) through a strainer. It is commonly used as a first food by most mothers.
If making banana puree at home, follow this simple recipe:
Mash a ripe peeled banana using a spoon and add a tsp of lemon juice or orangejuice. Mix well and use as required.
Certain manufacturers prepare organic banana puree which is made from the Cavendish variety of bananas. In this scenario, bananas are washed, peeled, mashed, refined and packed. Frozen banana puree can be pasteurized and deep freezed. This process retains the natural flavour and aroma of the fruit. This kind of processed banana puree is free from any pathogenic bacteria and can be used upto a year from the date of manufacture.
How to select
If making banana puree at home, ensure that you use ripe bananas. If purchasing from your food store, ensure that you check the packaging for manufacturing and expiry date. Do note that the pack is well sealed.
· It can be had just by itself. Most mothers use this puree as first foods for their baby since it is easy to digest and children would not need to chew.
· Combine banana puree with sugar and cook on a medium flame till the sugar melts. Add the juice of a lemon, vanilla essence and use as a hot sauce or toppings on ice creams, fruit crepes, sweet pancakes etc.
· Mix it with juices, drinks etc to create your own unique recipe.
· Use it as a base for bakery fillings in sweet pies, tarts, flans, Danish pastries etc.
· Add it in jams, syrups etc for that specific flavour.
· Mousses and cheeecakes also widely make use of banana puree.
How to store
Banana puree is best used fresh. However, if there is any surplus, transfer to a dry air tight container and store under refrigerated conditions.
· It is high in dietary fibre which may lower the risk of heart disease.
· Since it is a good source of potassium, it can help lower the level of stress. Potassium is an essential mineral needed to regulate water balance, acidity level and blood pressure.
· Banana puree has a natural antacid effect on our body.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.