Last Updated : Sep 11,2019
Viewed 53830 times
Also Known As
Bicarbonate of soda, Sodium Bicarbonate, NaHCO3
Description of Baking Soda
Baking soda is a white powder with crystalline grains, which is used as a leavening agent. Its main purpose is to break down proteins and neutralise acids. Thus, it aids in leavening and tenderising.
How to select Baking Soda
• Select from known brands.
• Check the manufacturing date, expiry date and the packaging before purchasing.
Culinary Uses of Baking Soda
• Baking soda is a natural tenderiser. Thus, it can be added to soaked beans etc. before pressure cooking. Baking soda quickens the cooking process.
• As a leavening agent, it is used in baking. Baked recipes leavened using baking soda usually have a lighter crumb and show signs of aeration (in form of tiny holes) because of the escape of carbon dioxide.
• A pinch of soda added to tomato sauce while cooking helps reduce acidity.
• It is added in Gujarati snacks like dhokla, muthia etc.
How to store Baking Soda
Store in an airtight container in a cool and dry place.
Health Benefits of Baking Soda
• Since it is an acid neutraliser, it is used in various first aid applications. It can soothe discomforts arising from sunburns.
• Bee stings can be eased using a paste of baking soda and cold water.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.