Viewed 18510 times
Also known as
Pearl Onions, Button Onions
They are actually immature onions of different varieties and range in sizes of around a little less or more than 1 inch diameter. They are planted densely so that they cannot grow to be more than that size. They can be yellow, red or white skinned but are all mildly flavoured. The inner flesh is whitish in all baby onions and is used in a range of recipes around the world.
It can be quite tricky to peel baby onions. An easy way to do so is to place the baby onions in boiling water for 2 minutes and then drain them. Transfer to cold water. Now cut off the roots of the cooled baby onions and pinch/ press lightly. The skin will come off easily.
Blanched baby onions
In order to blanch baby onions, first peel the baby onions. Keep water to boil in a stock pot. Once boiled, add the bbay onions to it and allow to cook for 4 to 5 minuutes or till required. Remove, drain and use as required. It is mainly used in making Indian subzis.
How to select
Choose baby onions that are dry, free from moisture and are firm to handle. The outer skin should be dry ad shiny and should not show signs of soft spots and sprouting. That would denote that the baby onions will rot soon. Avoid baby onions with dirt, cuts and blemishes.
· They are widely used to make pickled onions. Pickled onions are baby onions which are soaked in vinegar. Pickled onions go as an accompaniment to cheese boards, salad counters etc. They can also be chopped and used as topping on open sandwiches etc.
· Cook with butter and balsamic vinegar till tender and serve as accompaniment to roasted meats.
· Baby onions can also be added whole in stews, gravies and casseroles.
How to store
Store in a cool and dry place away from sunlight. If baby onions have been cut and need to be stored, place in plastic bags or zip lock bags and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
· Baby onions have anti oxidant and anti inflammatory properties.
· Eating them regularly may help stabilize blood sugar levels and avoid risk of cardiovascular disorders.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.