Last Updated : Jan 13,2018
Viewed 12258 times
Also known as
Araru biscuits, Araruta biscuits
The arrowroot plant is native to the tropics of South America. Technically derived as the edible starch from a rhizome of Maranta species, it has roots which date as early as 7000 years ago. The Arawak Indians called it the Aru-aru (meal of meals). The flour derived from the arrowroot plant is used as base for making arrowroot biscuits. They are usually a favourite in British cuisine.
Crushed arrowroot biscuits:
To crush arrowroot biscuits, coarsely crush using a rolling pin or hands. Use crushed arrowroot biscuits along with melted butter as a base for cheesecakes.
Powdered arrowroot biscuits:
Grind in the mixer to get finely powdered arrowroot biscuits. To make coarsely powdered biscuits, crush using a mortar pestle or rolling pin. Use coarsely powdered or finely powdered as required for thickening sweets.
How to select
Purchase from food stores and check the manufacturing and expiry date on the packaging. If purchasing loose from bakeries, check if you can taste a sample for freshness before buying.
· Use it as a tea time snack along with tea.
· It can act as a refreshing snack in your kids tiffin box.
· Make arrowroot biscuits at home. Follow this easy recipe: Cream ½ cup softened butter with 1 cup caster sugar. Add 2 beaten eggs and vanilla essence, mix well and add the dry ingredients. The dry ingredients include 1 cup arrowroot flour, 2 cups refined flour, 1 tsp baking powder and a pinch of salt.
· Roll out the dough thinly and cut into desired shapes. Prick with a fork and bake in greased baking sheets at 180 C for 10 minutes or till golden brown in colour.
How to store
Store in a cool dry place in air-tight containers away from humidity.
· Since arrowroot is negligible in gluten, these biscuits can be used as a part of gluten free diet. However, ensure that you check the packaging. Commercially sold arrowroot biscuits may have wheat flour added to it, thus making it a gluten laden product.
· It is said to relieve stomach disorders, especially for bowel complaints in convalescents. So, if your kid is having a tummy ache, he/ she can have a biscuit instead of having medicine!
· Like other pure starches, however, arrowroot is almost pure carbohydrate and devoid of protein, thus it does not equal wheat flour nutritionally. Thus, arrowroot biscuits are not brimming with nutrients.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.