Last Updated : Jan 13,2018
Viewed 8297 times
A smooth paste obtained by grinding fully cooked or semi cooked apples is termed as apple puree. It is commonly used as baby food since it can be easily consumed. Thus it is the perfect weaning food.
To make 1 cup apple puree at home, follow this easy recipe. Peel, core and deseed the apples (2 to 3 large) and cut into quarters. Place in a saucepan along with 2 to 3 tbsp sugar (depending on the tartness of the apples). Add 1 tsp of lemon juice and cover and cook on a medium flame for 8 to 10 minutes, or till the apples are soft. The moisture in the apples is enough to cook them and there is no need to add water. Once cooked, add 1 tbsp unsalted butter (optional for texture) and mash using a potato masher.
If making in large quantities, you can even mash using a food processer or grinder/ mixer.
How to Select
If making apple puree at home, select good quality firm apples free from blemishes. If purchasing branded apple puree, check for the manufacturing and expiry date, packaging etc.
· It is best used as a perfect weaning food. It is easy to prepare and can be comfortably digested by your child. To make variations, you can combine apples with dates or bananas to make fruit purees for your child.
· Use apple puree as a base to make fruit sauces which will go well with crepes etc.
· Combine apple puree with other flavourings and use as filling in Danish pastries, cakes etc.
· Apple puree can be used to make apple sauce which is the basic accompaniment that goes well with crisp belly of pork etc.
· Use apple puree, either warm or cold, to prepare Apple mousse, Apple soufflé etc.
· It tastes delicious when frozen to make fruit lollies etc.
How to Store
Always cover with cling film and store in refrigerated conditions. Warm as required.
As such apples have a high fruit sugar content and is a good source of iron, potassium and vitamins. Thus apple puree cooked in their own sugar also retains the same nutrients.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.