Last Updated : Jan 13,2018
Viewed 12955 times
Also known as
Anise seed powder, Vilayati Saunf powder
Aniseed, which is used as a spice and as a medicine, has a sweet liquorice-like taste. It is of the Apiaceae family, which makes it a relative of other plants like celery, dill, coriander, fennel and cumin.
The powder derived by crushing and powdering aniseeds is referred to as aniseed powder.
How to select
• Ideally, the powder will have a pale brown colour and a very mild, fragrant aroma.
• If buying from a store, make sure the package is well-sealed and the lot is fresh, to ensure maximum aroma and flavour.
• One can prepare aniseed powder at home itself. Just dry roast aniseeds on a warm griddle (tava) till the seeds give out a fragrant aroma. Cool and powder.
• Powdered aniseed is used to flavour confectionary, breads and cakes, vegetables, stewed fruits, cheese dishes etc.
• Use the powder at the end of cooking to add aroma to your dals, curries, chaats etc.
How to store
• Store the powder in an air-tight container in a cool dry place, away from humidity.
• Aniseed powder may be consumed orally as a cure for cold, cough and other common throat infections. It is a common ingredient in Ayurvedic cough mixtures.
• Aniseed powder when added to tea and drunk as an infusion aids digestion.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.