Last Updated : Jan 05,2018
Viewed 19365 times
Also Known as
Red Kidney Beans
Kashmiri rajma are dark red kidney beans which are known for their rich red colour even after being cooked. True to their name, these popular beans are kidney shaped. Since these dark red beans hold their shape and colour really well during cooking and readily absorb surrounding flavors, they are a favorite bean to use in simmered dishes. It is available in small as well as big sizes. They have a shiny appearance are smaller as compared to common rajma, which are little dull and light in colour. Kashmiri rajma is almost as well known as Kashmiri mirch is. These small red kidney beans are delicious and cook fast. They are sweeter in taste as compared to common rajma and tastes delicious when simmered in tomato and onion based gravy.
Soaked kashmiri rajma
Soaking kashmiri rajma is very easily done at home. Rajma soaked are very easy to cook and one can use it instantly. To soak them, wash them thoroughly, check for any stones and then soak it in luke warm water. One is to change the water from time to time while you're soaking or cooking the beans. Pouring off the water helps gets rid of the indigestible complex sugars that create gas in your intestine. It also helps to cook the beans thoroughly, until they can be easily mashed with a fork. Soaked rajma can however, be used in any dish of your choice. Soaked Rajma needs special storage, as in one should use the soaked rajma within 2 or 3 weeks of time. Long storage could cause an undesirable odour. It is best however, to store in refrigerator in an air tight container, allowing no moisture or air contact.
Soaking rajma does not cause any nutrient loss; infact helps remove the indigestible complex sugars that create gas in your intestine. Soaking and using further as desired is however is a good option for people have gastric troubles.
How to select
Choose from the various brands available in market. Make sure you check for any impurities, stones or debris.
• Kashmiri Rajma curry is extremely popular not just in North India but elsewhere as well. Serve Rajma with plain boiled rice, Cucumber salad and your favorite pickle.
• Since these dark red beans hold their shape really well during cooking and readily absorb surrounding flavors, they are a favorite bean to use in simmered dishes.
• Kidney beans are gorgeous and versatile beans are often used in chilli, refried beans, soups, and salads.
• Beans require salt, to bring out their full flavor. Adding salt and acids inhibit water penetration and, when added too soon, can toughen the beans.
• Their strong colour, robust flavour and meaty texture make them welcome additions to salads, soups and rice dishes.
How to store
Always store dry kidney beans in a dry airtight container at room temperature. Do not store dry bean in the refrigerator. Once cooked, beans can be kept in the refrigerator in a covered container for up to 5 days and in an airtight container in the freezer for up to six months. Beans are best used within one year. They can lose their moisture and take longer to soak and cook. Always rinse and sort beans before cooking. Beans and lentils can have very small stones but this is rare. Small stones are difficult to remove from beans and lentils because stones are organic and have to be removed by human hands.
• Kashmiri rajma are a very good source of cholesterol-lowering fiber, as are most other beans.
• In addition to lowering cholesterol, kashmiri rajma’s high fiber content prevents blood sugar levels from rising too rapidly after a meal, making these beans an especially good choice for individuals with diabetes, insulin resistance or hypoglycemia.
• These are low in fat and loaded with nutrients, and we'd probably eat more of them if they weren't also loaded with flatulence-producing enzymes.
• These red beans are an excellent source of folate, dietary fiber and manganese.
• Kashmiri rajma are a good source of protein, thiamine (vitamin B1), phosphorus, iron, copper, magnesium, and potassium.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.