Green Chawli Leaves
Last Updated : Feb 18,2019
Viewed 54463 times
Also Known as
Amaranth leaves, Chawli ka Patta, Chawli Bhaji, Cow Pea Leaves
Description of Green Chawli Leaves, Amaranth Leaves Amaranth is a popular green leafy vegetable grown all over India. It is usually short-lived, with erect and often thick and fleshy stems and green leaves.
Chopped green chawli leaves
Remove the leaves from the stem. Discard the stems. Wash the leaves thoroughly and remove the excess water by straining. Take a few and chop it with a sharp knife on the chopping board. Chop coarsely or finely, as desired in the recipe. Some recipe call for chawli leaves chopped along with stems, in that case do not remove the leaves from stem, instead chop it with sharp knife on a chopping board.
How to Select Green Chawli Leaves (Amaranth leaves)
Select bunches with crisp, green leaves that do not contain any markings or browning, which may be an indication of worm damage. Avoid limp bunches and yellowing leaves.
Culinary Uses Green Chawli Leaves (Amaranth leaves)
· Chawli leaves vegetable is a perfect combination with Bajra roti.
· These leaves make up a good salad and are a wonderful addition to kadhi and Parathas.
· Choose methods of cooking that will retain flavor, color, and nutrients. Instead of boiling, steam them. Avoid cooking at very high temperatures and long cooking times as it may turn green colour into dark green or black, hence would be unacceptable.
How to Store Green Chawli Leaves (Amaranth leaves)
Excess dirt should be removed and leaves should be trimmed and stored in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for 3 days.
8 Health Benefits Green Chawli Leaves (Amaranth leaves)
1. Absolutely Low on Calorie and Carb Count : A cup of chawli leaves offers only 13 calories and thus they qualify as a low-calorie vegetable. It’s a boon for weight watchers and diabetics, who always intend to not have that spike in their blood sugar levels. Learn some Healthy Snacks & Starters for Diabetes.
Recommend For : Diabetes and Obesity
2. Amaranth Leaves Carries High Concentration of Protein : Like broccoli, chawli leaves also has good amount of protein. A cup, which is just 28 g, gives 1.1 g of protein. This much protein is considered to be good for a food of vegetable category. High protein has always been associated to boost metabolism and help in building muscle mass.
Recommended For : Athletes
Click here to know more about the Health Benefits Green Chawli Leaves (Amaranth leaves).
Nutritive Information for Green Chawli Leaves (Amaranth leaves) :
1 Cup of chopped green chawli leaves is about 28 grams
RDA stands for Recommended Daily Allowance.
Energy - 13 calories
Protein – 1.1 g
Carbohydrate – 1.7 g
Fat – 0.1 g
Fiber – 1.1 g
1545.6 mcg of Vitamin A = 32.2% of RDA (about 4800 mcg)
0.01 mg of Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) = 0.6% of RDA ( (about 1.2 to 1.6 mg for men)
0.05 mg of Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) = 2.6% of RDA (about 1.4 to 1.9 mg for men)
0.16 mg of Vitamin B3 = 1.3% of RDA (about 12 mg)
27.7 mg of Vitamin C = 69.3% of RDA (about 40 mg)
41.7 mcg of Folate (Vitamin B9) = 41.7% of RDA (about 100 mcg)
111.2 mg of Calcium = 11.1% of RDA (about 1000 mg)
0.97 mg of Iron = 4.9% of RDA (about 20 mg)
14.7 mg of Magnesium = 4.2% of RDA (about 350 mg)
16.2 mg of Phosphorus = 2.7% of RDA (about 600 mg)
0.84 mg of Zinc = 7% of RDA (about 10 to 12 mg)
95.2 mg of Potassium = 2% of RDA (about 4700 g)
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.