Last Updated : Apr 15,2019
Viewed 74157 times
Also Known as
What is Fenugreek Leaves, Methi Leaves? Fenugreek has been used as a food, spice and medicine since ancient times. Fenugreek is nature's great boon to mankind. It is an erect, strongly scented, robust, annual herb 30 to 60 cm high. It has compound leaves of light green colour 2 to 2.5 cm long, auxillary yellow flowers and pointed pods, 5 to 7 cm long. The fenugreek leaves are aromatic, cooling and mild aperient. The leaves are popular for their aromatic and unique flavor. Fenugreek has a strong, pleasant and a peculiar odor. Indians like the fresh leaves, which are eaten as tasty.
Blanched fenugreek leaves
Boil some water; immerse the leaves in boiling water for 30 seconds and then plunge into cold water. Remove and strain it. Allow it to cool. Blanching helps in minimizing the cooking time for a particular dish and enhances the colour and flavour making it more palatable.
Remove the leaves from the stem. Discard the stems. Wash the leaves thoroughly and remove the excess water by straining. Take a few and chop it with a sharp knife on the chopping board. Chop coarsely or finely, as desired in the recipe. Some recipe call for fenugreek leaves chopped along with stems, in that case do not remove the leaves from stem, instead chop it with sharp knife on a chopping board.
How to select Fenugreek Leaves, Methi Leaves?
Always select bunches that are fresh and green in colour. Avoid if they are yellow or very dry textured. Some recipes even call for tender fenugreek leaves, then select small fenugreek leaves which are easily available in the market.
How to use of Fenugreek Leaves, Methi Leaves?
1.Methi thepla and Methi Muthia are the very staple foods relished by Gujarati's accompanied either with a cup of tea or in dinner with Potato bhaji or Pickles.
2. Fenugreek added to vegetables makes the dish delicious.Methi Matar Malai is one very yummy preparation. It can be added to potato or any veggie of your choice. click on to know the recipes on Fenugreek, Methi accompanied with other vegetables or ingredients
3. When leaves of fenugreek is used in fresh form, it should be remembered that because of its high water content, add water to your preparations only after 10 mins of cooking.
4. Chopped methi with crumbled Paneer makes a healthy stuffing for Methi Paneer paratha and a healthy lunch box snack.
5. Methi in combination with sweet corn is a great addition to Rice.
How to store Fenugreek Leaves, Methi Leaves?
Remove the leaves from the stem and wrap it in a paper and keep it an air tight container or net bag. Store in the refrigerator. Best used within a week.
Nutrition Information for Fenugreek leaves/ Methi Leaves
Nutritional Information for 1 Cup of Chopped Fenugreek Leaves
One Cup of Chopped Fenugreek Leaves is 28 grams.
RDA stands for Recommended Daily Allowance.
1.23 grams of Protein
1.68 grams of Carbs
0.25 grams of Fat
RECOMMENDED DAILY ALLOWANCE
119.84 mcg of Vitamin K = 99.86% of RDA (about 120 mcg)
14.56 mg Vitamin C = 36.4% of RDA (about 40 mg)
110.6 mg of Calcium (Ca) = 18.4% of RDA (about 600 mg)
655.2 mcg of Vitamin A = 13.65 % of RDA (about 4800 mcg)
21.07 mcg of Folic Acid = 10.53% of RDA (about 200 mcg)
2.52 grams of Fibre = 10.08% of RDA (about 25 grams)
1.59 mg of Iron (Fe) = 7.57% of RDA (about 21 mg)
0.08 mg of Vitamin B2, Riboflavin = 7.27% of RDA (about 1.1 mg)
17.82 mg of Magnesium (Mg) = 5.09% of RDA (about 350 mg)
0.10 mg of Vitamin B6, Pyridoxine = 5% of RDA (about 2 mg)
14.28 mg of Phosphorus (P) = 2.38% of RDA (about 600 mg)
0.22 mg of Vitamin B3, Niacin = 1.83% of RDA (about 12 mg)
21.30 mg of Sodium (Na) = 1.11% of RDA (about 1902 mg)
9 Impressive Health Benefits of having Fenugreek Leaves (Methi Leaves)
1. Low Calorie: One cup of methi leaves gives only 13 calories making it a good choice for those controlling their calorie intake. It will not only add bulk to your diet but also will make you feel fuller. You will feel satiated for a longer period and refrain from eating extra calories. You can try making our Low calorie fenugreek leaves recipes like Methi Oats Roti and Sprouted Moong and Methi Chila if you want to lose those extra kilos
2. Strong Antioxidant: Being enriched with antioxidants like Beta Carotene and Vitamin C, it helps to build body’s immune system to fight against common illnesses. 1 cup Methi gives 36.4% of RDA (Recommended Daily Allowance) for Vitamin C and 13.65% of RDA for Vitamin A. Care should be taken while cooking as Vitamin C is easily destroyed with heat. Avoid overcooking of Vitamin C rich vegetables. Choose from our wide range of antioxidants rich recipes like Carrot Methi Subzi and Mixed Vegetables in Palak Methi Gravy that are rich in both Beta Carotene and Vitamin C
Click here to know more about the 9 Impressive Health Benefits of having Fenugreek Leaves (Methi Leaves).
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.