Chilkewali Urad Dal
Last Updated : Mar 20,2020
Viewed 13677 times
Also Known as
Split black lentils with skin
Chilkewali urad dal retains the skins and also has a strong flavour. This urad dal with skin is creamy white from inside and dark brown black coloured from outside with somewhat bland and creamy flavour when cooked. The dal is boiled and has an unusual mucilaginous texture. Chilkewali urad dal is a traditional ingredient in Indian curries and dishes. These are low in fat and rich in protein and fibre. They turn thick and mushy when cooked. The most commong Indian dish prepared using this dal is dal makhani.
How to select
Check the pre packaged split green gram for their expiry date. They should be dust free and without stones and other debris.
• Chilkewali urad dal is cooked as any other dal is cooked. The dal is pressure cooked along with chopped onion, tomatoes, chillies and ginger-garlic patse.
• The most common dish prepared using this dal is dal makhani.
• They are also used in making other varieties of dal preparations.
How to store
Clean the urad dal and remove the stones or any dirt particle. It can be stored indefinitely in an airtight container in a cool, dry location. Cooked urad dal should be stored in the refrigerator and can be used for up to 3 or 4 days.
• It provides many of the nutrients your body needs, such as protein, fat, and carbohydrates. These foods serve as the best plant source of protein.
• This legume contains building blocks of protein necessary for good health.
• The iron, folic acid, calcium, magnesium, potassium, and B vitamins in these foods help meet vitamin and mineral requirements.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.