Dal Chawal Palidu
by Farida Haji
Added to 2 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 25273 times
This is a typical bohri community recipe, which is one sect of the Siah muslims. It is usually prepared on every happy occasion. It is best served with papad and mango pickle.
- Wash, soak and boil the dal in enough water till it is soft and cooked.
- Drain the excess water and preserve the water.
- Heat 3 tsp oil in a kadhai, add 1 chopped onion, curry leaves, cumin seeds, green chilli paste, garlic paste and salt and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add the turmeric powder, coriander powder, chilli powder and the cooked dal and mix well.
- Remove from flame and keep aside.
- In a deep pan, place 1 cup cooked rice and spread evenly.
- Spread a layer of the cooked dal and spread evenly.
- Spread the tomatoes and the remaining 1 cup rice.
- Now keep the vessel on a slow flame for two minutes or till the rice is cooked. Keep aside.
- Take the dal water in a deep pan, add the tomatoes, drumsticks, wheat flour and besan and whisk well till no lumps remain. Keep aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in a pan, add the remaining onions, cumin seeds and curry leaves and saute till the onions turn golden brown in colour.
- Add the chilli and garlic paste and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder and coriander seeds powder and add the flour mixture and mix well.
- Cool the mixture becomes thick and the drumsticks are well cooked.
- Garnish it with coriander and serve with the prepared dal chawal.
This recipe was contributed by Farida Haji on 06 Sep 2011
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.