Cinnamon Spice Bread Casserole
by The Abbie
This recipe has been viewed 5814 times
I had been reading bread casserole and bread pudding recipes for quite some time and decided to make a sugar-free, whole wheat version. Having a breakfast / dessert while it is low G.I. is a perfect recipe.
- In a measuring cup, combine the milk and swetner.
- The measuring glass has a convenient pouring snout which will help pouring out the liquid into the casserole dish.
- Add the cinnamon, vanilla, cardamom, and nutmeg powder and mix well.
- Add egg whites and beat well to a uniform mixture.
- The basic idea is to alternate layers of bread and liquid custard and complementing with sliced fruit in between.
- Brush the insides of the dish with vegetable oil, or spray with butter spray to avoid contents from sticking during baking.
- Layer the bread slices at the base of the baking dish.
- Pour the liquid custard, soaking the slices. Make sure the slices are perfectly soaked.
- Layer sliced fruit now.
- Layer more bread slices on top of the fruit.
- Pour more liquid custard, soaking the second layer of bread.
- Layer sliced fruit on top.
- Pour the custard into the sides and corners, using a toothpick / knife to move the bread.
- Cover the dish and refrigerate overnight, or for 6-7 hours before baking.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees f.
- When preheated, put the baking dish in.
- Reduce the temperature to 175 degrees and bake for 50-60 minutes.
- Keep checking in between, at 20 minute, 10, minute, and 10 minute intervals to avoid overbaking. The idea is to have the bread soak up all the liquid that remains and become golden brown, and slightly crispy. Keep using a toothpick / knife to check the edges to see if all the liquid has gone.
- Slice fresh fruit for garnish.
- Drizzle sugar free syrup if you like.
- Cut up pieces and serve with side garnish of fruits and drizzle of sugar-free syrup of your choice, or honey.
This recipe was contributed by The Abbie on 18 May 2014I am a twenty-seven-year-old creative writer and poet, living in a fantasy state-of-mind, in Marylan...
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.