by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 12 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 16602 times
Here’s a chutney that will tickle your taste buds and perk up any dish it is served with.
An apt accompaniment for idli, dosa and hot steamed rice, the Capsicum Chutney combines the pungent, mildly spicy flavour of capsicum with the comforting taste of roasted dal, the tanginess of tamarind, the appetizing taste of sesame seeds and the spicy flavour of red chillies.
A good dose of coconut helps to hold the chutney together and also balances all the flavours. All together, the homely taste and lovely mouth-feel of this chutney is sure to please everybody.
This is a typical South Indian method of making chutneys and can be adapted to other veggies like radish too. You can store the chutney in an airtight container in the fridge for 4-5 days.
You can have it with South Indian breakfastSouth Indian breakfast dishes, or have it for lunch mixed with hot rice and ghee.
Also try other accompaniments like Lehsun ki Chutney or Horsegram Chutney .
- Heat 2 tsp of sesame oil in a broad non-stick pan add the urad dal and chana dal and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the sesame seeds, dry red chillies, 5 curry leaves, asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the capsicum and salt and sauté on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut and tamarind and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Cool the mixture and blend it into smooth paste using 2 tbsp water. Keep aside.
- Heat the remaining 2 tsp of sesame oil in a small non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds and the remaining 5 curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for few seconds.
- Pour the tempering evenly over it and mix well.
- Serve with idlis, dosas or steamed rice.
Capsicum Chutney video by Tarla Dalal
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per tbsp
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.