How many calories does one Mini Cabbage Vada have?
One Mini Cabbage Vada gives 16 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 11 calories, proteins account for 4 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 0.9 calories. One Mini Cabbage Vada provides about 1 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See Mini Cabbage Vada recipe. The mildly pungent aroma and flavour of cabbage fits very well into vadas. Combined with a dough of soaked urad dal, along with other flavour enhancers, it makes a crispy south Indian treat that will be loved by all. When shaped in a convenient size, the Mini Cabbage Vadas are ideal for serving to kids, or as a starter in a party. Just make sure you make the vadas as soon as you add the salt, lest the cabbage starts letting out water and the dough becomes watery.
Is Mini Cabbage Vadas healthy?
No, this is not healthy. Let's see why.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Cabbage ( Gobhi) : Cabbage is low in calories, relieves constipation, good for diabetics. Cabbage has high levels of flavonoids and anthocyanins and has long been used as a herbal medicine. Rich in Antioxidants in turn lowers the risk of infection and inflammation of the body due to eating processed foods. See here all benefits of cabbage.
2. Urad Dal : 1 cup of cooked urad dal gives 69.30% of folic acid of your daily requirement of folate. The folic acid in urad dal helps your body to produce and maintain new cells, especially red blood cells. Being rich in Phosphorus it works with Calcium to build our bones, high in fibre and good for heart, good for lowering cholesterol and good for diabetes. See here for 10 super benefits of urad dal.
3. Onions (pyaz, kanda) : Raw onions are a very valuable source of vitamin C – the immune building vitamin. Along with other phytonutrients from onions, it helps to build WBC (white blood cells) which serves as a line of defence against illness. Yes, it’s a source of many antioxidants, the most important one amongst them being Quercetin. The quercetin which promotes production of HDL (good cholesterol) and lowers total cholesterol in the body. The sulphur in onions act as a blood thinner and prevents blood clotting too. This in turn would lower blood pressure and good for heart, diabetics. Read the benefits of onions.
4. Coriander (kothmir, dhania) : The antioxidants vitamin A, vitamin C and the quercetin present in coriander works towards strengthening our immune system. Coriander is a fairly good source of iron and folate – the 2 nutrient which help in the production and maintenance of red blood cells in our blood. Good for reducing cholesterol and good for diabetics. Read 9 benefits of coriander to understand details.
What's the problem?
1. Deep fried foods : This recipe is deep fried. Any food that is deep fried is not suitable for healthy living. Your fat levels increase as deep frying increases oil absorption. Also when you use the same oil again for deep frying then smoking point decreases which leads to the development of blue smoke which is not good for health. Processed food, Deep Fried Foods also increases inflammation in the body and shuts down the fat burning process. Most diseases from heart, to cardio vascular, diabetes, parkinsons, alzheimer, cancer and obesity result when the cells get inflamed and don't then function correctly. Inflammation in the arteries can cause heart attacks. So your diet should contain foods that fight inflammation in the body. That's how your body gets healthier by eating the right stuff. So you have given the cells in your body the right food to stay healthy and that is so important in staying disease free for the rest of your life.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Mini Cabbage Vadas?
No, this recipe is not good for diabetics, heart and weight loss. This recipe is deep fried. Any food that is deep fried is not suitable for healthy living. Your fat levels increase as deep frying increases oil absorption. Processed food, Deep Fried Foods also increases inflammation in the body and shuts down the fat burning process. Most diseases from heart, to cardio vascular, diabetes, parkinsons, alzheimer, cancer and obesity result when the cells get inflamed and don't then function correctly. Inflammation in the arteries can cause heart attacks. So your diet should contain foods that fight inflammation in the body. That's how your body gets healthier by eating the right stuff.
What are the healthier Idli recipes instead of fried vada?
See the healthiest idli options like dal and vegetable idli recipe, moong sprouts and palak idli recipe, green moong dal and vegetable idli recipe or barley idli which has no rice. Serve it with a healthy sambar or coconut chutney. Read which idlis and dosas are healthy?
Sprouts and Palak Idli
What are the healthier dosa recipes of fried vada?
Opt for nachni dosa, quinoa dosa, oats dosa, 4 Flour Dosa recipe, spinach dosa or buckwheat dosa which has ZERO rice used. Serve it with a healthy sambar recipe or coconut chutney. Read which idlis and dosas are healthy?
Can healthy individuals have Mini Cabbage Vadas?
No, avoid deep fried foods.
How to burn 16 calories that come from Mini Cabbage Vadas?
Walking (6 kmph) = 5 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 2 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 2 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 3 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.