How many calories does one serving of Bengali Style Okra have?
One serving of Bengali Style Okra gives 59 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 10 calories, proteins account for 2 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 46 calories. One serving of Bengali Style Okra provides about 3 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
Click here to view. Bengali Style Okra recipe. When something can be cooked quickly and easily, and is also too tasty to resist, it appeals to everybody! such is the case with the bengali style okra. A fine powder of mustard and poppy seeds lends a unique flavour to this subzi, which features only simple ingredients that can be found in anybody's spice rack. So, you can prepare it any time you need a semi-spicy, hot accompaniment for fluffy fresh rotis!
Is Bengali Style Okra healthy?
Yes, this is healthy. But restrictions apply to some.
Let's understand the Ingredients of Bengali Style Okra.
What's good in Bengali Style Okra.
1. Bhindi (lady finger, okra) : The vitamin Folate (B9) present in lady finger is required in blood RBC production. There are also fair amounts of Vitamin C, which boosts immunity. There are good amounts for dietary fiber present and hence good for diabetics and weight loss. It lowers cholesterol and good for heart. See the 10 amazing benefits of lady finger.
2. Turmeric Powder (Haldi) : Turmeric helps in digestion of food thus helping to overcome indigestion. Haldi may help in reducing the growth of fat cells in the body. Turmeric, being rich in iron, is highly valuable in the treatment of anaemia and both the root as well as the powder should be a regular part of an anaemic diet. One of the health benefits of turmeric is it’s anti-inflammatory property due to the active compound, Curcumin, which helps to relieve inflammation of the joints and thus is a ladder to relieve pain related to arthritis.
The curcumin in haldi also helps to ward of the bacteria’s causing cold, cough and throat irritation. Turmeric benefits in diabetes management by lowering blood glucose levels. Its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects are useful in the treatment of diabetes patients. It is known to be a good brain food and keep diseases like Alzheimer’s at bay. See here for detailed turmeric benefits.
What's the problem Bengali Style Okra ?
Sugar : Sugar used in the recipe is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage. To live a healthy life, try and cut sugar which from your diet. It requires a slow and deliberate attempt to do it. Find hidden sugar in packaged foods and drinks and stop having those products. Did you know that a can of your favourite soft drink is estimated to have 1/2 cup of sugar. Refinded carbohydrates like maida, sugar, bread, pasta, noodles and sugar on consumption get stored as unhealthy fat in the body.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Bengali Style Okra?
Yes, this recipe is good for diabetics, heart and weight loss BUT cut the oil by half in this recipe. Sugar used is very little and not affect you. Drop it if you can.
The vitamin Folate (B9) present in lady finger is required in blood RBC production. There are also fair amounts of Vitamin C, which boosts immunity.
Can healthy individuals have Bengali Style Okra?
Yes, Bengali style okra is healthy. Made of okra and Indian spices.
Is Bengali style okra safe for healthy individuals?
Yes, this is a healthy recipe.
What is a healthier Indian Roti to eat with Bengali Style Okra ?
We suggest to opt for an Indian bread which is not deep fried. So you could have whole wheat roti, bajra roti, jowar roti. If you want to add some stuffing then jowar mooli roti, bajra cauliflower roti. Bajra and jowar are rich in potassium and critical for those with High Blood Pressure as it lessens the impact of sodium. Eating more Potassium Rich Foods will remove more sodium from your body through urine. So include these basic rotis in your daily diet to have with Lower Blood Pressure Subzis Recipes.
Bengali style okra is good for
1. Healthy Lifestyle
3. Weight loss
4. Heart Patients
8 Pointers to get healthy on a Indian diet
1. Eat healthy and say yes to good home cooked food. Prefer whole grains like oatmeal, quinoa, buckwheat, barley and healthy flours like bajra flour, jowar flour, quinoa flour, wheat flour etc. rather than refined ones like maida. Have healthy Indian fats like ghee, coconut, coconut oil in your diet.
2. Opt out of junk food, packaged food, deep fried foods. Prefer steamed snacks and other non-fried snacks. Check out some Healthy Indian Snacks. Remember to eat small frequent meals through the day as that will keep you always full and prevent your blood sugar from dropping. By starving your body through some diet, will not help you one bit. In fact, dieting will make you binge on 2 to 3 meals which is not good.
3. Have 4 to 5 servings of vegetables and 2 to 3 servings of fruit is a must. Follow the logic of a vegetable in each main meal of the day and a fruit in-between meals. Check out a few Healthy Indian Soups and Healthy Indian Salads recipes using this food group.
4. Cut down on sugar and salt in your diet and pick honey ( very small amounts) or dates to sweeten your food. Slowly cut the sugar habit as this is not going to happen over night. Sugar is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage.
Salt and blood pressure. Apart from stress and obesity, one of the main reasons for high blood pressure is excessive sodium and salt intake. Most people find it difficult to limit the amount of salt in their cooking, thinking it will affect the taste of their favourite dishes.
This is not true. Bajra and jowar are rich in potassium and critical for those with High Blood Pressure as it lessens the impact of sodium. Eating more Potassium Rich Foods will remove more sodium from your body through urine. So include the basic bajra roti and jowar roti in your daily diet to have with Lower Blood Pressure Subzis Recipes.
5. Befriend a few healthy seeds and nuts like chia seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds, walnuts and almonds.
6. Sprouts are called ‘living food’. They are high is most nutrients and easy to digest as well. Let them feature in your meals at least thrice a week. Also Read : All Benefits about Sprouts.
7. Exercise 45 minutes every day. No excuse. You can walk fast, run, do weights, play your favourite sport or go to the gym.
8. Sleep early and get up early. Get your body into rhythm and it will function best. Sleep helps your body to recover.
How to burn 59 calories that come from Bengali Style Okra?
Walking (6 kmph) = 18 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 6 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 8 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 10 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.