How many calories does one serving of Tomato Rice have?
One serving of Tomato Rice gives 266 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 126 calories, proteins account for 16 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 123 calories. One serving of Tomato Rice provides about 13 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See Tomato Rice recipe. This spicy and tangy rice preparation is ideal for packing in a lunch box, and sure to be enjoyed by young and old alike. Enjoy it hot and fresh with papads or pack it with a katori of coconut pachadi; either way it will taste just as appealing, as it combines an assortment of ingredients that complement tomatoes best! A masala of common spices, and a traditional tempering that includes peanuts too, ensure that the Tomato Rice is perfect for all to relish.
Is Tomato Rice healthy?
No, this is not healthy. Let's see why.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Tomatoes : Tomatoes are extremely rich source of Lycopene. Tomatoes are a powerful antioxidant, super rich in Vitamin C, good for heart. Tomatoes are a Pregnant women's friend and are rich in Folate or Folic Acid which helps your body to produce and maintain new cells, especially red blood cells. Read about 13 amazing benefits of tomatoes.
2. Coconut Oil : Coconut oil is a medium chain triglycerides (MCT’s). Unlike other fats, they go directly from the gut to the liver. From here, they are then used as a source of energy or converted into ketones. As the calories in MCT’s are used straight away, they are less likely to be stored as fats in the body. MCT's have shown to improve your brain and memory function, they also give a boost to your energy levels and improve your endurance. The MCT in Coconut oil reduces the LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol) while increasing the count of HDL cholesterol, maintaining normal blood pressure and good for diabetics. See detailed benefits of coconut oil.
3. Peanuts : Peanuts contain Vitamin B1, Thiamine which helps form ATP (Adenosine triphosphate) which body uses for energy. A handful of peanuts gives you 7.3 grams of Protein. Peanuts, Almonds, Walnuts and Cashews are rich in Protein and healthy monounsaturated fats which won’t spike your blood sugar levels and good for a diabetic snack and healthy heart snack. Eating a handful of Peanuts a day is said to increase the good cholesterol (HDL) in your body which is good for heart health. Read 11 amazing benefits of peanuts.
4. Onions (pyaz, kanda) : Raw onions are a very valuable source of vitamin C – the immune building vitamin. Along with other phytonutrients from onions, it helps to build WBC (white blood cells) which serves as a line of defence against illness. Yes, it’s a source of many antioxidants, the most important one amongst them being Quercetin. The quercetin which promotes production of HDL (good cholesterol) and lowers total cholesterol in the body. The sulphur in onions act as a blood thinner and prevents blood clotting too. This in turn would lower blood pressure and good for heart, diabetics. Read the benefits of onions.
What's the problem?
Rice : Here are the pros for rice. Rice is a great source of complex carbohydrates, which is an important source of energy for our body. Rice is low in fibre and therefore a good option for people suffering from diarrhoea. What's not good in rice. Foods like rice are high in Glycemic index are not suitable for weight loss, heart patients, diabetics as they affect the blood sugar control levels. See details of is white rice and parboiled rice good for you?
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Tomato rice ?
No, this recipe is not good for diabetics, heart and weight loss. Foods like rice are high in Glycemic index are not suitable for weight loss, heart patients, diabetics as they affect the blood sugar control levels.
What's the solution? Try our lemon rice made with brown rice. I enjoy this dish with rasam or just a bowl of salad. The lemon in the rice aids in the absorption of iron in your body due to its high vitamin c content. I have replaced rice with brown rice to make it more healthy and low in calorie. If you have eaten a heavy breakfast, then this is a perfect dish for a light lunch.
Healthy Lemon Rice
Can healthy individuals have Tomato rice ?
This is okay at best. Try and add some more vegetables with your meal to reduce your carb load and add some protein like homemade curds using cows milk or low fat curds or or a low fat cucumber raita.
Tomato Rice is high in
1. Vitamin C : Vitamin C is a great defence against coughs and colds.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 266 calories that come from Tomato Rice?
Walking (6 kmph) = 1hr 20 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 27 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 35 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 46 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.