How many calories does one serving of Thalipeeth have?
One Thalipeeth gives 100 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 42 calories, proteins account for 10 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 50 calories. One Thalipeeth provides about 5 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See thalipeteth recipe. This traditional thalipeeth recipe is an instant Maharashtrian thalipeeth recipe. Made with three types of flours, besan, jowar and whole wheat flour, thalipeeth is easy to prepare.
People often move to fast-foods, because they assume traditional recipes are time-consuming. Not at all! See this instant Maharashtrian thalipeeth recipe.
To make Maharashtrian thalipeeth combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl, mix well and make a thick batter using enough water. Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and grease it lightly with oil. Pour a ladleful of the batter on the tava. Cook the thalipeeth on a medium flame, using a little oil, till it turns golden brown in colour from both the sides. Serve healthy thalipeeth hot with curds or green chutney.
See why we think this is a healthy thalipeeth recipe. Made from 3 healthy flours, Whole wheat flour is excellent for diabetics as they will not shoot up your blood sugar levels as they are a low GI food. Being high in Fibre, Jowar reduces bad cholesterol (LDL) and increases the effects of good cholesterol (HDL). Besan is high in Folate or folic acid, which is important for rapid growth and multiplication of red blood cells and white blood cells (WBC) in the bone marrow.
Some tips for instant Maharashtrian thalipeeth . 1. Oats flour, Bajra flour, Ragi flour, Quinoa flour, Amaranth flour are some other healthy flours which you can use as an addition or replacement to the flours mentioned in this quick thalipeeth recipe. 2. For an added crunch, toss in some chopped onion. 3. You can add any vegetables of your choice like shredded cabbage, grated carrots, beetroot or bottle gourd. 4. This being a quick recipe Maharashtrian thalipeeth we are making a batter and not a dough for the thalipeeth which will quicken the process of making them. But, if you wish then you can try out this authentic Methi Thalipeeth.
Is Thalipeeth healthy?
Yes, thalipeeth is healthy. Made of besan, jowar flour, whole wheat flour, onions, tomatoes and green chilles.
Let's understand the ingredients.
Whole Wheat flour : Whole wheat flour is excellent for diabetics as they will not shoot up your blood sugar levels as they are a low GI food. See detailed benefits of whole wheat flour and why it's good for you.
Besan : Besan has more good fat than whole wheat flour and also higher protein content. Rich in complex carbohydrates and with a low glycemic index, besan is good for diabetics too. Besan is high in Folate or folic acid, which is important for rapid growth and multiplication of red blood cells and white blood cells (WBC) in the bone marrow. See 10 detailed benefits of besan and why it's good for you.
Jowar Flour : Jowar is a complex carb and will be absorbed slowly in the blood stream and not cause a spike in insulin. Jowar and all Millets are rich in Potassium. Potassium is critical for those with High Blood Pressure as it lessens the impact of sodium. Hence a good safe food for diabetics but to be had in restricted quantity and safe for those who want to live and eat healthy. Being high in Fibre, Jowar reduces bad cholesterol (LDL) and increases the effects of good cholesterol (HDL). See 17 benefits of jowar and why you should have it.
Onions : Yes, its a great Anti Oxidant. The phytochemical present in onions along with their Vitamin C help boost your immunity. The chromium in onions help regulate your blood pressure. The sulphur in the onion which brings you tears is actually good for your eyes. Raw onions keep your heart healthy and see here for total benefits of onions.
Tomatoes : Tomatoes are extremely rich source of Lycopene. Tomatoes are a powerful antioxidant, super rich in Vitamin C, good for heart. Tomatoes are a Pregnant women's friend. Read about 13 amazing benefits of tomatoes.
Is Thalipeeth safe for diabetics, heart and overweight individuals?
Yes, this is safe for all to eat. Each of the 3 flours are healthy. Whole wheat flour is excellent for diabetics as they will not shoot up your blood sugar levels as they are a low GI food. Being high in Fibre, Jowar reduces bad cholesterol (LDL) and increases the effects of good cholesterol (HDL). Rich in complex carbohydrates and with a low glycemic index, besan is good for diabetics too.
What is a healthy accompaniment to this Thalipeeth?
We suggest you pair it with homemade curds using cows milk or low fat curds.
Low Fat Curds ( How To Make Low Fat Curds)
Is Thalipeeth safe for healthy individuals?
Yes, this is safe for all to eat. Each of the 3 flours are healthy.
8 Pointers to get healthy on a Indian diet
1. Eat healthy and say yes to good home cooked food. Prefer whole grains like oatmeal, quinoa, buckwheat, barley and healthy flours like bajra flour, jowar flour, quinoa flour, wheat flour etc. rather than refined ones like maida. Have healthy Indian fats like ghee, coconut, coconut oil in your diet.
2. Opt out of junk food, packaged food, deep fried foods. Prefer steamed snacks and other non-fried snacks. Check out some Healthy Indian Snacks. Remember to eat small frequent meals through the day as that will keep you always full and prevent your blood sugar from dropping. By starving your body through some diet, will not help you one bit. In fact, dieting will make you binge on 2 to 3 meals which is not good.
3. Have 4 to 5 servings of vegetables and 2 to 3 servings of fruit is a must. Follow the logic of a vegetable in each main meal of the day and a fruit in-between meals. Check out a few Healthy Indian Soups and Healthy Indian Salads recipes using this food group.
4. Cut down on sugar and salt in your diet and pick honey ( very small amounts) or dates to sweeten your food. Slowly cut the sugar habit as this is not going to happen over night. Sugar is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage.
Salt and blood pressure. Apart from stress and obesity, one of the main reasons for high blood pressure is excessive sodium and salt intake. Most people find it difficult to limit the amount of salt in their cooking, thinking it will affect the taste of their favourite dishes.
This is not true. Bajra and jowar are rich in potassium and critical for those with High Blood Pressure as it lessens the impact of sodium. Eating more Potassium Rich Foods will remove more sodium from your body through urine. So include the basic bajra roti and jowar roti in your daily diet to have with Lower Blood Pressure Subzis Recipes.
5. Befriend a few healthy seeds and nuts like chia seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds, walnuts and almonds.
6. Sprouts are called ‘living food’. They are high is most nutrients and easy to digest as well. Let them feature in your meals at least thrice a week. Also Read : All Benefits about Sprouts.
7. Exercise 45 minutes every day. No excuse. You can walk fast, run, do weights, play your favourite sport or go to the gym.
8. Sleep early and get up early. Get your body into rhythm and it will function best. Sleep helps your body to recover.
Thalipeeth is good for
1. Healthy Recipes Lifestyle
2. Low Calorie Snack
3. Diabetic Snacks
4. Healthy Heart Snacks
5. Pregnancy snacks
6. Kids snacks
How to burn 100 calories that come from one serving of Thalipeeth?
Walking (6 kmph) =
Running (11 kmph) =
Cycling (30 kmph) =
Swimming (2 kmph) =
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.