How many calories does one serving of Sweet Potato Khichdi have?
One serving of Sweet Potato Khichdi gives 328 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 171 calories, proteins account for 19 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 144 calories. One serving of Sweet Potato Khichdi provides about 16 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
Click here to view. Sweet Potato Khichdi recipe. This simple but tasty khichdi is made with grated potatoes and sweet potatoes, tempered traditionally and flavoured with everyday ingredients like green chillies and lemon juice. We have added coarsely crushed peanuts to the recipe, to improve the flavour and texture. Roasted and crushed peanuts also boost the aroma of any recipe it is added to.There are two things you need to take care of, when making this khichdi. As you grate the potatoes and sweet potatoes, you should keep immediately placing them in water to avoid discoloration. Before using, you must also carefully squeeze out all the water. Also, when the Sweet Potato Khichdi is getting cooked, you must keep stirring it to avoid the grated potatoes sticking to the pan.
Is Sweet Potato Khichdi healthy?
No, this is not healthy. Let's see why.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Sweet Potatoes, Shakarkand : Sweet Potato is a good source of potassium which helps is balancing the excess sodium levels in the body. Thus it maintains normal blood pressure and exerts less strain on the heart. It helps build immune cells (WBC) thus forming a line of defence against all types of infections. Sweet Potato Aids in Weight Loss : ½ cup of sweet potatoes gives you a handsome amount of fiber (2.9 g). This much fiber for a snack is enough to keep you full for hours and avoid bingeing on unhealthy snacks. Almost nil fat is an added benefit for weight watchers. Small amounts good for diabetics to be consumed with protein rich or fiber rich food. Read 9 super benefits of sweet potatoes.
2. Lemon, Lemon Juice : Lemon is a very good source of Vitamin C and thus helps in the production of white blood cells and antibodies in the blood which attacks invading microorganisms, prevents infection and builds immunity. Therefore, Lemon juice is given to prevent common cold. The ascorbic acid in lemon juice helps in absorption of iron from the food. So if you’re iron deficient or have anaemia squeeze a lemon on iron rich recipes. See detailed benefits of lemon, lemon juice.
3. Coriander (kothmir, dhania) : The antioxidants vitamin A, vitamin C and the quercetin present in coriander works towards strengthening our immune system. Coriander is a fairly good source of iron and folate – the 2 nutrient which help in the production and maintenance of red blood cells in our blood. Good for reducing cholesterol and good for diabetics. Read 9 benefits of coriander to understand details.
4. Peanuts : Peanuts contain Vitamin B1, Thiamine which helps form ATP (Adenosine triphosphate) which body uses for energy. A handful of peanuts gives you 7.3 grams of Protein. Peanuts, Almonds, Walnuts and Cashews are rich in Protein and healthy monounsaturated fats which won’t spike your blood sugar levels and good for a diabetic snack and healthy heart snack. Eating a handful of Peanuts a day is said to increase the good cholesterol (HDL) in your body which is good for heart health. Read 11 amazing benefits of peanuts.
What's the problem?
1. Vegetable Oils : To some vegetable oil is only soyabean oil, while some promote it as a mix of oils like soyabean, canola, sunflower, corn and other omega-6 rich oils. These are often cheaper options than many oils, but they are highly processed oils. They are undoubtedly not to be reached out for, whether you are looking for salad dressings, sautéing or cooking. The 5 best oils used in cooking are olive oil (low temperature short time cooking), avocado oil, canola oil, coconut oil and peanut oil. You must read the super article to find the facts of which oil is the healthiest avoid vegetable oil.
2. Sugar : Sugar used in the recipe is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage. To live a healthy life, try and cut sugar which from your diet. It requires a slow and deliberate attempt to do it. Find hidden sugar in packaged foods and drinks and stop having those products. Did you know that a can of your favourite soft drink is estimated to have 1/2 cup of sugar. Refinded carbohydrates like maida, sugar, bread, pasta, noodles and sugar on consumption get stored as unhealthy fat in the body.
3. Potatoes (Aloo) : Potatoes being high in simple carbohydrates will lead to weight gain and are not good for people with diabetes, heart problem and obesity. Potatoes are recommended for malnourished children and people with low weight. See full details on why potatoes are bad for you.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Sweet Potato Khichdi?
No, this recipe is not good for diabetics, heart and weight loss. Potatoes being high in simple carbohydrates will lead to weight gain and are not good for people with diabetes, heart problem and obesity.
What is a healthier option than using Sweet Potato Khichdi?
We suggest the following healthy khichdi like fada ni khichdi recipe, vitamin khichdi recipe, buckwheat moong dal and vegetable khichdi, bajra moong and green peas khichdi, barley khichdi and vegetable biryani from brown rice. All these recipes have ZERO usage of rice and portion control is suggested for diabetics.
Can healthy individuals have Sweet Potato Khichdi?
Sweet Potato Khichdi is high in
1. Vitamin C : Vitamin C is a great defence against coughs and colds.
2. Vitamin B1 : Vitamin B1 protects nerves, helps in carbohydrate metabolism, prevents heart diseases and helps produce red blood cells.
3. Fiber : Dietary fiber reduce the risk of heart disease, prevent the spike in blood sugar levels and hence super for diabetics. Consume more fruits, vegetables, moong, oats, matki, whole grains.
4. Vitamin B3 (niacin) : Vitamin B3 helps in brain functioning and mental health. Also healthy skin formation.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 328 calories that come from Sweet Potato Khichdi?
Walking (6 kmph) = 1 hr 38 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 33 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 44 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 56 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.