How many calories does one plate of Sev Puri have?
One plate of Sev Puri gives 171 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 73 calories, proteins account for 10 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 86 calories. One plate of Sev Puri provides about 9 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
Click here to view. Sev Puri recipe. sev puri | sev poori chaat recipe | indain sev puri chaat | mumbai sev puri recipe.
sev puri, as the name indicates is sev topped on puris or papdis, along with potatoes and chutneys. Tangy, crisp and tongue tickling are some words that come to my mind when we think of mumbai sev puri recipe.
When you think of popular Mumbai street food, then sev poori chaat recipe is on top of the list. Every bhelwala has his own recipe of sev puri.
I grew up having sev puri on the streets of Mumbai. However, we prefer to make our sev puri at home as it is a lot more hygienic. In addition, we always have our jar snack of baked puri ready on hand with our chutneys in the freezer. So making sev poori chaat at home is quite a quick job.
We will be using an assortment of chutneys to make indain sev puri chaat. You can refer these chutney recipe with detailed step by steps for Khajur Imli ki Chutney , Green Chutney,Fresh Garlic Chutney and make them time ahead and store in the refrigerator.
The base of sev poori is made of papdi, which are small crispy flat puris which are deep fried. For those who prefer a healthier sev puri , switch to our baked puri recipe.
Baked Puri ( Baked Papadi)
The very thought of homemade sev poori makes my mouth water as I reach out to make this delicious chaat!
Is Sev Puri Healthy?
No, sev puri is not healthy. Made from papadis, potatoes, sev, chutney and coriander.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Onions (pyaz, kanda) : Raw onions are a very valuable source of vitamin C – the immune building vitamin. Along with other phytonutrients from onions, it helps to build WBC (white blood cells) which serves as a line of defence against illness. Yes, it’s a source of many antioxidants, the most important one amongst them being Quercetin. The quercetin which promotes production of HDL (good cholesterol) and lowers total cholesterol in the body. The sulphur in onions act as a blood thinner and prevents blood clotting too. This in turn would lower blood pressure and good for heart, diabetics. Read the benefits of onions.
2. Coriander (kothmir, dhania) : Green chutney is made from coriander. The antioxidants vitamin A, vitamin C and the quercetin present in coriander works towards strengthening our immune system. Coriander is a fairly good source of iron and folate – the 2 nutrient which help in the production and maintenance of red blood cells in our blood. Good for reducing cholesterol and good for diabetics. Read 9 benefits of coriander to understand details.
3. Lemon, Lemon Juice : Lemon is a very good source of Vitamin C and thus helps in the production of white blood cells and antibodies in the blood which attacks invading microorganisms, prevents infection and builds immunity. Therefore, Lemon juice is given to prevent common cold. The ascorbic acid in lemon juice helps in absorption of iron from the food. So if you’re iron deficient or have anaemia squeeze a lemon on iron rich recipes. See detailed benefits of lemon, lemon juice.
1. Potatoes (Aloo) : Being high in simple carbohydrates they will lead to weight gain and are not good for people with diabetes, heart problem and obesity. See full details on why potatoes are bad for you.
2. Deep fried foods : This PAPADI and Sev is deep fried. Any food that is deep fried is not suitable for healthy living. Your fat levels increase as deep frying increases oil absorption. Also when you use the same oil again for deep frying then smoking point decreases which leads to the development of blue smoke which is not good for health. It also increases inflammation in the body and shuts down the fat burning process.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Sev Puri?
No, this recipe is not good for diabetics, heart and weight loss. Recipe contains sev and papadi which are deep fried food. For those who prefer a healthier sev puri , switch to our baked puri recipe.
What is a healthier Indian snack option ?
Here are some healthy snack recipes like baked methi muthias, multiflour chakli recipe, multigrain healthy crackers and whole wheat methi khakhra recipe.
Baked Methi Muthias
Can healthy individuals have Sev Puri?
No, this is not in tune with a healthy life style.
8 Pointers to get healthy on a Indian diet
1. Eat healthy and say yes to good home cooked food. Prefer whole grains like oatmeal, quinoa, buckwheat, barley and healthy flours like bajra flour, jowar flour, quinoa flour, wheat flour etc. rather than refined ones like maida. Have healthy Indian fats like ghee, coconut, coconut oil in your diet.
2. Opt out of junk food, packaged food, deep fried foods. Prefer steamed snacks and other non-fried snacks. Check out some Healthy Indian Snacks. Remember to eat small frequent meals through the day as that will keep you always full and prevent your blood sugar from dropping. By starving your body through some diet, will not help you one bit. In fact, dieting will make you binge on 2 to 3 meals which is not good.
3. Have 4 to 5 servings of vegetables and 2 to 3 servings of fruit is a must. Follow the logic of a vegetable in each main meal of the day and a fruit in-between meals. Check out a few Healthy Indian Soups and Healthy Indian Salads recipes using this food group.
4. Cut down on sugar and salt in your diet and pick honey ( very small amounts) or dates to sweeten your food. Slowly cut the sugar habit as this is not going to happen over night. Sugar is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage.
Salt and blood pressure. Apart from stress and obesity, one of the main reasons for high blood pressure is excessive sodium and salt intake. Most people find it difficult to limit the amount of salt in their cooking, thinking it will affect the taste of their favourite dishes.
This is not true. Bajra and jowar are rich in potassium and critical for those with High Blood Pressure as it lessens the impact of sodium. Eating more Potassium Rich Foods will remove more sodium from your body through urine. So include the basic bajra roti and jowar roti in your daily diet to have with Lower Blood Pressure Subzis Recipes.
5. Befriend a few healthy seeds and nuts like chia seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds, walnuts and almonds.
6. Sprouts are called ‘living food’. They are high is most nutrients and easy to digest as well. Let them feature in your meals at least thrice a week. Also Read : All Benefits about Sprouts.
7. Exercise 45 minutes every day. No excuse. You can walk fast, run, do weights, play your favourite sport or go to the gym. No activity reduces muscle tissue which will lead to muscke loss and all kinds of problems with that.
8. Sleep early and get up early. Get your body into rhythm and it will function best. Sleep helps your body to recover and makes you look much younger. Also getting good sleep prevent muscle loss.
How to burn 171 calories that come from one plate of Sev Puri?
Walking (6 kmph) =
Running (11 kmph) =
Cycling (30 kmph) =
Swimming (2 kmph) =
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.