How many calories does one Puri have?
One Puris gives 101 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 30 calories, proteins account for 5 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 67 calories. One Puris provides about 5 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See puri recipe. poori is unleavened deep fried Indian Bread. Simple basic ingredients available in all kitchens of India are used to make whole wheat puri like whole wheat flour, oil, salt and water.
The puri is basically a deep-fried snack made with dough. The dough is made of flour, water and salt, sometimes perked up with a few spices or pureed veggies or greens. This dough is then shaped into small discs using a rolling pin and deep-fried. There are many varieties of puris such as plain puri, stuffed ones, and crispy jar snack puris that last for a week. Here we show you how to make poori.
To deep-fry poori, heat the oil in a deep kadhai and carefully put 2-3 puris to fry at a time.The oil should neither be too hot or too cold. To check if the oil is at the right temperature or not, drop a small portion of dough in the oil.
Puri perhaps one of the most well-known and versatile of Indian foods. It can be eaten for breakfast, snacks or a light meal. They are usually served as a side dish with subzi or curries especially made with potatoes. In Northern region, they are served with sooji halwa while in Western region, they are served with shrikhand or aamras.
The most popular breakfast recipe with pooris in India has to be puri bhaji. Fluffy and golden brown whole wheat flour puris are served with a bhaji of potatoes perked up with everyday ingredients like onions, green chillies and lemon juice.
Plain Puri is also served at special or ceremonial functions. When I was a child and we would have any function at home where there would be a lot of guests coming in, Puri is one dish that would definitely be on the menu, as poori is easy and quick to make and goes well with most Indian food. During Mango season, we always loved having Puri with Aamras.
Is Puris healthy?
No, puris are not healthy. Even though they are made from whole wheat flour, they are deep fried.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Whole Wheat flour : Whole wheat flour is excellent for diabetics as they will not shoot up your blood sugar levels as they are a low GI food. Whole wheat flour is rich in Phosphorus which is a major mineral which works closely with calcium to build our bones. Vitamin B9 helps your body to produce and maintain new cells, especially increase red blood cells. See detailed 11 benefits of whole wheat flour and why it's good for you.
What's the problem?
Deep fried foods : This recipe is deep fried. Any food that is deep fried is not suitable for healthy living. Your fat levels increase as deep frying increases oil absorption. Also when you use the same oil again for deep frying then smoking point decreases which leads to the development of blue smoke which is not good for health. Processed food, Deep Fried Foods also increases inflammation in the body and shuts down the fat burning process. Most diseases from heart, to cardio vascular, diabetes, parkinsons, alzheimer, cancer and obesity result when the cells get inflamed and don't then function correctly. Inflammation in the arteries can cause heart attacks. So your diet should contain foods that fight inflammation in the body. That's how your body gets healthier by eating the right stuff. So you have given the cells in your body the right food to stay healthy and that is so important in staying disease free for the rest of your life.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Puris ?
No, this recipe is not good for diabetics, heart and weight loss. This recipe is deep fried. Any food that is deep fried is not suitable for healthy living. Your fat levels increase as deep frying increases oil absorption. Also when you use the same oil again for deep frying then smoking point decreases which leads to the development of blue smoke which is not good for health. Processed food, Deep Fried Foods also increases inflammation in the body and shuts down the fat burning process.
What is a healthy option? Have healthy rotis or parathas.
We suggest a bajra roti, jowar roti, radish nachni roti recipe , basic ragi roti recipe, and whole wheat roti to make a healthy combination.
Healthy paratha recipes like yellow moong dal and spring onion paratha made with whole wheat flour + yellow moong dal. Paushtic parathas, Green Moong Dal and Spring Onion Paratha recipe are another option.
Can healthy individuals have Puris?
No. Avoid deep fried food.
8 Pointers to get healthy on a Indian diet
1. Eat healthy and say yes to good home cooked food. Prefer whole grains like oatmeal, quinoa, buckwheat, barley and healthy flours like bajra flour, jowar flour, quinoa flour, wheat flour etc. rather than refined ones like maida. Have healthy Indian fats like ghee, coconut, coconut oil in your diet.
2. Opt out of junk food, packaged food, deep fried foods. Prefer steamed snacks and other non-fried snacks. Check out some Healthy Indian Snacks. Remember to eat small frequent meals through the day as that will keep you always full and prevent your blood sugar from dropping. By starving your body through some diet, will not help you one bit. In fact, dieting will make you binge on 2 to 3 meals which is not good.
Skip having Indian junk foods like pav bhaji, bata vada, pakoras, gulab jamun as they cause your body to have insulance resistance. The resultant is your body will store more carbohydrates as fats, causing storage of fat in the stomach causing a paunch and slowing down of our fat burning process. So its a bad cyle which causes you more more hunger and fatigue every time you eat junk food.
3. Have 4 to 5 servings of vegetables and 2 to 3 servings of fruit is a must. Follow the logic of a vegetable in each main meal of the day and a fruit in-between meals. Check out a few Healthy Indian Soups and Healthy Indian Salads recipes using this food group.
4. Cut down on sugar and salt in your diet and pick honey ( very small amounts) or dates to sweeten your food. Slowly cut the sugar habit as this is not going to happen over night. Sugar is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage.
Salt and blood pressure. Apart from stress and obesity, one of the main reasons for high blood pressure is excessive sodium and salt intake. Most people find it difficult to limit the amount of salt in their cooking, thinking it will affect the taste of their favourite dishes.
This is not true. Bajra and jowar are rich in potassium and critical for those with High Blood Pressure as it lessens the impact of sodium. Eating more Potassium Rich Foods will remove more sodium from your body through urine. So include the basic bajra roti and jowar roti in your daily diet to have with Lower Blood Pressure Subzis Recipes.
5. Befriend a few healthy seeds and nuts like chia seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds, walnuts and almonds.
6. Sprouts are called ‘living food’. They are high is most nutrients and easy to digest as well. Let them feature in your meals at least thrice a week. Also Read : All Benefits about Sprouts.
7. Exercise 45 minutes every day. No excuse. You can walk fast, run, do weights, play your favourite sport or go to the gym. No activity reduces muscle tissue which will lead to muscke loss and all kinds of problems with that.
8. Sleep early and get up early. Get your body into rhythm and it will function best. Sleep helps your body to recover and makes you look much younger. Also getting good sleep prevent muscle loss.
How to burn 101 calories that come from one Puri?
Walking (6 kmph) = 30 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 10 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 13 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 17 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.