How many calories does one serving of Pithore Kadhi have?
One serving of Pithore Kadhi gives 267 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 76 calories, proteins account for 34 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 140 calories. One serving of Pithore Kadhi provides about 13 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
Click here to view Pithore Kadhi recipe. Pithore is a Rajasthani delicacy that looks somewhat like dhokla but is actually very different in taste, texture and preparation. While pithore can be tempered and had as a tea-time snack, it can also be deep-fried and added to gravies or in this case, kadhi. Sour and tangy kadhi with deep-fried pithore is an irresistible accompaniment, and makes one have a double helping of roti or pulao, whatever it is served with. Add the fried pithore to the kadhi just before serving the Pithore Kadhi.
Is Pithore Kadhi healthy?
No, this is not healthy. Let's see why.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Curd + Low fat Curds : Curds help in digestion as it has very good bacteria. Probiotics in curds acts as a mild laxative but, in case of diarrhoea and dysentery, it is a boon, if curd is used with rice.They help in weight reduction, good for your heart and build immunity. The only difference between curds and low fat curds is the fat level. Read the benefits of curds to include in your daily diet.
2. Besan : Besan has more good fat than whole wheat flour and also higher protein content. Rich in complex carbohydrates and with a low glycemic index, besan is good for diabetics too. Besan is high in Folate or folic acid, which is important for rapid growth and multiplication of red blood cells and white blood cells (WBC) in the bone marrow. Rich in complex carbohydrates and with a low glycemic index, besan is good for diabetics too. See detailed benefits of besan and why it's good for you.
3. Green Chillies : Antioxidant vitamin C in green chillies protects the body from effects of harmful free radicals and prevents stress. It is probably the high fiber which helps in controlling blood sugar levels. This it is a welcome addition to a diabetic diet. Suffering from anaemia? Add green chillies to your list of iron rich foods too. For complete details see benefits of green chilli.
What's the probelm?
1. Deep fried foods : This pithore is deep fried. Any food that is deep fried is not suitable for healthy living. Your fat levels increase as deep frying increases oil absorption. Also when you use the same oil again for deep frying then smoking point decreases which leads to the development of blue smoke which is not good for health. It also increases inflammation in the body and shuts down the fat burning process.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Pithore Kadhi ?
No, this recipe is not good for diabetics, heart and weight loss. This pakoda is deep fried. Any food that is deep fried is not suitable for healthy living. Your fat levels increase as deep frying increases oil absorption. Foods like rice are high in Glycemic index are not suitable for weight loss, heart patients, diabetics as they affect the blood sugar control levels.
What is a healthy kadhi option?
You can follow this healthy kadhi low fat kadhi recipe.
Healthy Kadhi, Low Fat Kadhi Recipe
Can healthy individuals have Pithore Kadhi ?
No, this is not healthy. Follow the Healthy Kadhi, Low Fat Kadhi Recipe above.
Kadhi goes well with the following khichdi options : buckwheat moong and vegetable khichdi, vitamin khichdi, fada ni khichdi, bohri khichdi and buckwheat and sprouts khichdi. Note that these khichdi recipes have ZERO rice used in them and are diabetic, heart friendly.
Pithore Kadhi is high in
1. Vitamin B1 : Vitamin B1 protects nerves, helps in carbohydrate metabolism, prevents heart diseases and helps produce red blood cells.
2. Folic Acid : Folic acid is an essential vitamin required throughout pregnancy.
3. Phosphorous : Phosphorous works closely with calcium to build bones.
4. Calcium : Calcium is a mineral that makes bones stay strong. Required from kids to adults.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 267 calories that come from one serving of Pithore Kadhi?
Walking (6 kmph) = 1 hr 20 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 27 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 36 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 46 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.