How many calories does one serving of Palak Chana Pulao have?
One serving of Palak Chana Pulao gives 392 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 322 calories, proteins account for 40 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 27 calories. One serving of Palak Chana Pulao provides about 20 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See Palak Chana Pulao recipe. A medley of spices, veggies, spinach and kala chana make this Palak Chana Pulao a real tongue-tickler. Brown rice enhances the fibre content of this pulao while spinach makes it look appetizing and colourful while providing a bounty of iron. Kala chana is an ideal ingredient that boosts the nutritive value of this dish with its protein, calcium and vitamin A content.
Is Palak Chana Pulao healthy?
Yes, this is healthy. But restrictions apply to some.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Spinach (Palak) : Spinach is one of the richest plant sources of Iron and it should be part of a healthy diet for everyone. Raw spinach is very rich in insoluble fibre, 25% having soluble fiber and 75% insoluble fiber. Spinach is good for the heart, diabetics and eyes. Read this on the 17 benefits of spinach and why you should eat it.
2. Kabuli Chana ( white chick peas) : Kabuli Chana which is used in popularly in Chole in India is a complex cab which prevents surges in blood sugar levels and good for diabetics. Chickpeas are high in Fibre resulting in your stomach feeling a lot fuller than refined carbs. One cup of cooked chickpeas has 14 grams of protein, which is a really good amount. See here for 10 fabolous benefits of chickpeas.
3. Onions (pyaz, kanda) : Raw onions are a very valuable source of vitamin C – the immune building vitamin. Along with other phytonutrients from onions, it helps to build WBC (white blood cells) which serves as a line of defence against illness. Yes, it’s a source of many antioxidants, the most important one amongst them being Quercetin. The quercetin which promotes production of HDL (good cholesterol) and lowers total cholesterol in the body. The sulphur in onions act as a blood thinner and prevents blood clotting too. This in turn would lower blood pressure and good for heart, diabetics. Read the benefits of onions.
4. Capsicum (Bell Peppers) : Rich in vitamin C, capsicum protect and maintain the lining of the heart. Colourful capsicums are not only visually appealing but also good for your eyes too, as they contain antioxidant Lutein, which protects the eye from cataracts and degeneration of the eye. Capsicum is high in Folate or folic acid, which is important for rapid growth and multiplication of red blood cells and white blood cells in the bone marrow. See detailed benefits of capsicum.
5. Tomatoes : Tomatoes are extremely rich source of Lycopene. Tomatoes are a powerful antioxidant, super rich in Vitamin C, good for heart. Tomatoes are a Pregnant women's friend and are rich in Folate or Folic Acid which helps your body to produce and maintain new cells, especially red blood cells. Read about 13 amazing benefits of tomatoes.
What can be a problem?
Brown Rice : The glycemic indiex of brown rice is 20% lower than white rice Therefore, brown rice is good for people with diabetes if consumed in limited quantity. Being a good source of fibre that reduces high cholesterol levels and prevents atherosclerosis and good for your heart. Being a complex carbohydrate and low in GI. It is suitable for people on weight loss diet. See article is brown rice good for you?
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Palak Chana Pulao ?
Yes, BUT diabetics and heart patients should have this in limited quantity. We don't want you to have too much brown rice. Also reduce the carbohydrate load by having your pulao with some protein from low fat curds. Remember that it's best to have this pulao for lunch as you remain active through the day enabling the burning of calories instead of dinner. NOTE that this recipe is made with zero oil.
Can healthy individuals have Palak Chana Pulao ?
Palak Chana Pulao is high in
1. Vitamin C : Vitamin C is a great defence against coughs and colds.
2. Magnesium : Magnesium is required for formation of bones and teeth. helps in the metabolism of calcium and potassium.
3. Phosphorous : Phosphorous works closely with calcium to build bones.
4. Zinc : Zinc is involved in collagen synthesis and this helps repair skin and helps build immunity.
5. Vitamin B1 : Vitamin B1 protects nerves, helps in carbohydrate metabolism, prevents heart diseases and helps produce red blood cells.
6. Fiber : Dietary fiber reduce the risk of heart disease, prevent the spike in blood sugar levels and hence super for diabetics. Consume more fruits, vegetables, moong, oats, matki, whole grains.
7. Vitamin B3 (niacin) : Vitamin B3 helps in brain functioning and mental health. Also healthy skin formation.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 392 calories that come from Palak Chana Pulao?
Walking (6 kmph) = 1hr 58 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 39 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 52 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 1hr 7 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.