How many calories does one Magaz have?
One Magaz gives 307 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 152 calories, proteins account for 32 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 122 calories. One Magaz provides about 15 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See Magaz recipe. Magaz is a melt-in-the-mouth mithai made with the energizing combination of besan, sugar and ghee. The rich flavour of this laddoo-like sweet depends on how well you cook the besan. It is important to roast it uniformly, till a rich smell comes. Keep stirring it so that it does not char. The proportion of ghee and besan is also important as you might end up with a dry or very soft laddoo if it is not done right. Once you have the mix ready, take some in your palm, shape it into a round and keep rolling it in your hand till you get a smooth, lustrous, ghee-tinted texture on the surface. Keep an eye on the container you arrange these laddoos in, because it looks so tempting, and you folks might keep popping one into their mouths even as you keep preparing the Magaz! Serve this Mishtan with Dry Snacks like Ganthias and Masala Khakhras.
Is Magaz healthy?
No, this is not healthy. Let's see why. Magaz is a melt-in-the-mouth mithai made with the energizing combination of besan, sugar and ghee.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Besan : Besan has more good fat than whole wheat flour and also higher protein content. Rich in complex carbohydrates and with a low glycemic index, besan is good for diabetics too. Besan is high in Folate or folic acid, which is important for rapid growth and multiplication of red blood cells and white blood cells (WBC) in the bone marrow. See 10 detailed benefits of besan and why it's good for you.
2. Ghee : Other than calories and fats, the only nutrients that ghee is rich in are the vitamins – all of which are fat-soluble. All the 3 vitamins (Vitamin A, Vitamin E and Vitamin K) are antioxidants which have a role in removing free radicals from the body and protecting our cell as well as help in maintaining skin health and glow. Ghee is an excellent, high-quality selection medium of cooking because of its high smoke point. As compared to most oils and butter, ghee can handle a smoke point of 230°C, 450°F, thus its less prone to oxidant and destruction of nutrients. Yes, ghee does contain cholesterol, but some amount of cholesterol is needed by the body. Cholesterol has some functions to play too. It is necessary for hormone production, brain function, cell health and lubricating the joints. It is, in reality, a high quality fat for the body and brain. Ghee is loaded with fats but that’s medium chain fatty acids (MCT) which aid in weight loss. Ghee is healthy for daibetics in small amounts and you need to check your fat intake at the same time. Learn to easily make your ghee at home which is free of preservatives. See benefits of ghee.
3. Almonds (badam) : Almonds are rich in B complex vitamins such as Vitamin B1, Thiamine, Vitamin B3, Niacin and Folate which plays an important role in the brain development. Almonds balances your cholesterol levels. almonds have a very low glycemic index and good for diabetics. See all 13 super health benefits of almonds.
What's the problem?
1. Sugar : Sugar used in the recipe is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage. To live a healthy life, try and cut sugar which from your diet. It requires a slow and deliberate attempt to do it. Find hidden sugar in packaged foods and drinks and stop having those products. Did you know that a can of your favourite soft drink is estimated to have 1/2 cup of sugar. Refinded carbohydrates like maida, sugar, bread, pasta, noodles and sugar on consumption get stored as unhealthy fat in the body.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Magaz?
No, this recipe is not good for diabetics, heart and weight loss. Sugar used in the recipe is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage. To live a healthy life, try and cut sugar which from your diet.
Which ladoo is fairly healhty?
Try picking a ladoo recipe which has no rava or sugar to it and less fat. In Wheat flour and jaggery ladoo we have replaced rava and sugar with wheat flour and jaggery. Yet this is to be had in restricted quantity. Make oats and mixed nuts ladoo recipe which is sweetened by jaggery and oats is super healthy.
Oats and Mixed Nuts Ladoo ( Healthy Laddu)
Can healthy individuals have Magaz?
No, too much sugar used.
Magaz is high in
1. Folic Acid : Folic acid is an essential vitamin required throughout pregnancy.
2. Phosphorous : Phosphorous works closely with calcium to build bones.
3. Vitamin B1 : Vitamin B1 protects nerves, helps in carbohydrate metabolism, prevents heart diseases and helps produce red blood cells.
4. Fiber : Dietary fiber reduce the risk of heart disease, prevent the spike in blood sugar levels and hence super for diabetics. Consume more fruits, vegetables, moong, oats, matki, whole grains.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 307 calories that come from Four Magaz?
Walking (6 kmph) = 1 hr 32 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 31 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 41 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 53 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.