How many calories does one Gulab Jamun have?
Gulab jamun contains around 112 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 78 calories, proteins account for 9 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 25 calories. One Gulab Jamun provides about 6 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
Gulab Jamun is an all-time favorite Indian delicacy, which everybody loves to indulge in. Be it parties, occasions or a regular day, it is always a big ‘YES’. The nutrition facts of a gulab jamun may vary with the ingredients and their proportions. It is a dairy based dessert, consisting of soft, deep fried balls, soaked in an aromatic sugar syrup. It is made up of refined flour and sugar and therefore is high on calories.
The calories in any dessert can add up really quick, so if you are watching your weight, make sure, you take only small servings at a time and make gulab jamun a rare indulgence on special occasions.
5 Main Ingredients of Gulab Jamun that are not healthy
1. Gulab Jamun consists of Khoya which is made from 100% full fat milk and not good for weight loss or diabetics.
2. Plain flour which is a refined carb and leads to weight gain.
3. Sugar : This is the most dangerous ingredient to ever consume and should be avoided at all cost. Its a refined carb which has zero nutritional value and leads to weight gain and inflammation of the body from many hours after consumption. Sugar has zero fiber. So avoid it.
4. Deep fried foods : This recipe has deep fried foods. Any food that is deep fried is not suitable for healthy living. You're fat levels increase as deep frying increases oil absorption. Also when you use the same oil again for deep frying then smoking point decreases which leads to the development of blue smoke which is not good for health. It also increases inflammation in the body and shuts down the fat burning process.
5. Arrowroot flour : This is a refined flour similar to cornstarch.
Eat Gulab Jamun in moderation.
If you are a big gulab jamun fan, eating a single gulab jamun ball or even two will not cause a major damage to a healthy diet plan, if you are sure to make it an occasional treat! If you go overboard with it, it will make a difference and will interfere with your health and cause inflammation as it consists of mailny simple carbohydrates!
Once in a while, if you have had gulab jamun, do not feel guilty about it. Go, and do a bout of exercise! Burn out some calories and it will be fine!
Can Diabetics eat Gulab Jamun?
No. This food is definately avoidable as its empty fat calories which will lead to weight gain and increase blood sugar levels.