How many calories does one serving of Gajbaje have?
One serving of Gajbaje gives 336 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 225 calories, proteins account for 30 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 106 calories. One serving of Gajbaje provides about 17 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See Gajbaje recipe. A delicacy from Konkan cuisine, Gajbaje is a dish of mixed vegetables in a spicy coconut curry. The dish is quite easy to prepare – veggies are cooked till soft and then flavoured with a peppy coconut paste and finally topped with a traditional tempering, which instantly boosts the flavour and aroma of the dish.The coconut paste has a self-contained flavour, with the spiciness of red chillies and the tanginess of tamarind. Together with the tempering, this paste gives the assortment of veggies a totally fabulous taste! Some communities of the Konkan belt make this traditional delicacy on Aashad Ekadasi day, using a unique mix of veggies like amaranth stem, taro leaves, bamboo shoots and jackfruit seeds. It is believed that during their sojourn in the forest, one of the Pandavas, Bheema made this dish on Ekadasi day using the ingredients available in the wilderness they were residing in. Nevertheless, you can feel free to just open your fridge and use whatever veggies you find in it!
Is Gajbaje healthy?
No, this is not healthy. Let's see why.
Yes, this is healthy. But restrictions apply to some.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Coconut : The fresh coconut has saturated fats but most of it is MCT (Medium Chain Triglycerides) which promote weight loss. The high fibre content 13.6 gm (45.3% of RDA) along with high lauric acid content of coconut improves cholesterol levels in the body. Improving the action of insulin secretion and lowering the raised blood sugar levels is yet another benefit of coconut for Diabetics. See here for 10 amazing benefits of coconut.
2. Sweet Potatoes, Shakarkand : Sweet Potato is a good source of potassium which helps is balancing the excess sodium levels in the body. Thus it maintains normal blood pressure and exerts less strain on the heart. It helps build immune cells (WBC) thus forming a line of defence against all types of infections. Sweet Potato Aids in Weight Loss : ½ cup of sweet potatoes gives you a handsome amount of fiber (2.9 g). This much fiber for a snack is enough to keep you full for hours and avoid bingeing on unhealthy snacks. Almost nil fat is an added benefit for weight watchers. Small amounts good for diabetics to be consumed with protein rich or fiber rich food. Read 9 super benefits of sweet potatoes.
3. Red Pumpkin ( kaddu, bhopla) : A cup of pumpkin cubes fulfils your day’s requirement of Vitamin A (5526 mcg), thus making it a super food for your eyes. Kaddu can be included in safe amounts or restricted amounts by diabetics. The magical combo of antioxidants and Vitamins A and Vitamin C create a shield against cancer cells. The antioxidants help reducing LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol) from oxidizing and clogging the blood vessels, which if persists would increase the risk of heart disease. Read is pumpkin healthy?
4 Sweet Corn : The pros. Sweet corn in a rich in fibre. The high vitamin B3 – 2.61 mg / cup is known to reduce cholesterol levels in body and in turn promote heart health. Sweet corn is good for pregnancy as high folate content and antioxidants - lutein is good for the foetus.The cons. the glycemic index of sweet corn is said to be between 55 to 58 and hence not suited for diabetics and best to restrict the usage. Though sweet corn is a good source of fiber, low in fat and helps control appetite, considering that it is a vegetable it has more calories than other fiber rich veggies, so restrict usage for weight loss. So given a choice it is wise to opt for other veggies first. Read the article is sweet corn healthy?
What's the problem?
1. Vegetable Oils : To some vegetable oil is only soyabean oil, while some promote it as a mix of oils like soyabean, canola, sunflower, corn and other omega-6 rich oils. These are often cheaper options than many oils, but they are highly processed oils. They are undoubtedly not to be reached out for, whether you are looking for salad dressings, sautéing or cooking. The 5 best oils used in cooking are olive oil (low temperature short time cooking), avocado oil, canola oil, coconut oil and peanut oil. You must read the super article to find the facts of which oil is the healthiest avoid vegetable oil.
2. Potatoes (Aloo) : Potatoes being high in simple carbohydrates will lead to weight gain and are not good for people with diabetes, heart problem and obesity. Potatoes are recommended for malnourished children and people with low weight. See full details on why potatoes are bad for you.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Gajbaje?
No, this recipe is not good for diabetics, heart and weight loss. Potatoes being high in simple carbohydrates will lead to weight gain and are not good for people with diabetes, heart problem and obesity.
The glycemic index of sweet corn is said to be between 55 to 58 and hence not suited for diabetics and best to restrict the usage. Though sweet corn is a good source of fiber, low in fat and helps control appetite, considering that it is a vegetable it has more calories than other fiber rich veggies, so restrict usage for weight loss.
What is a healthier sabzi option ?
Here are some very healthy sabzis like dahi bhindi ki sabzi recipe, chana palak, mushroom mutter masala, mooli ki sabzi recipe, bhindi masala recipe.
Can healthy individuals have Gajbaje?
Yes, but small amounts.
Gajbaje is high in
1. Folic Acid : Folic acid is an essential vitamin required throughout pregnancy.
2. Vitamin C : Vitamin C is a great defence against coughs and colds.
3. Phosphorous : Phosphorous works closely with calcium to build bones.
4. Vitamin B1 : Vitamin B1 protects nerves, helps in carbohydrate metabolism,prevents heart diseases and helps produce red blood cells.
5. Fiber : Dietary fiber reduce the risk of heart disease, prevent the spike in blood sugar levels and hence super for diabetics. Consume more fruits, vegetables, moong, oats, matki, whole grains.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 336 calories that come from Gajbaje?
Walking (6 kmph) = 1hr 41 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 34 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 45 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 58 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.